Introduction and forewords
The Inclusive Communities Framework (ICF) is a commitment to work better with communities, that means we have to change how we do things, and as a partnership with local organisations like the Police, we have committed to do this. We hope other organisations will join us. The framework can be used with a wide range of plans and strategies across lots of different organisations and sets out how we want to work with people and has a toolkit that helps organisations review and improve how they work with communities.
How and what we will achieve
Some people and communities feel like they do not belong, and that what matters to them is not important to others. They do not know how they can be involved in the change that they want to see in their communities.The ICF will help to create safer and more cohesive communities where people feel listened to and where they feel they belong.
Through the ICF, each organisation is committing to:
- A belief that communities have solutions to problems, they have skills and knowledge that organisations do not have.
- Being active in building trust and promoting belonging in local places, people may be different, but they have shared interests and challenges.
- Care more about what communities care about, and showing this through action.
Organisations signed up to the ICF will do this through our actions:
- Creating more connections in and between communities.
- Communicating more and better with communities.
- Creating opportunities to work alongside local people sharing knowledge and resources, 'equalising'.
- Trusting communities more.
- Celebrating with communities.
About the toolkit
The Inclusive Communities Framework (ICF) is drawn from best practice across Kirklees Partners, as well as supported by national evidence and research on what works. There are three key elements to the toolkit: underpinning knowledge, the five inclusive approaches and a self-evaluation tool. Learn more about the ICF toolkit, how it can support your organisation to contribute to building inclusive communities, and how to implement the framework.