People in Kirklees aspire to achieve their ambitions through education, training, employment and lifelong learning
We want children to achieve well and leave school ready for life and work. We want people to enjoy and value learning throughout their lives and businesses to support a skilled workforce. The council has a role in making sure that education and learning is accessible and relevant to needs and opportunities, both now and in the future.
What we're aiming to achieve
- People in Kirklees have access to the highest quality, inclusive learning and education provision.
- Learning provision responds to the needs of people throughout their lives.
- Children making good progress and achieving the best outcome, and improved life chances for everyone.
- A highly skilled population able to secure good jobs both now and in the future.
Priorities for action
Tracking our progress
- Performance at the end of Key Stage 4 (i.e. at end of GCSEs).
- Adults qualified to level 4 or above (i.e. equivalent to a BTEC).
This Way for English
This Way for English (TW4E) is a programme that aims to engage with refugees, asylum seekers and migrants to assess English language ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) needs. The programme assesses participants' English language development needs and signposts participants to appropriate ESOL provision, as well as referring them to other relevant organisations or programmes to facilitate their integration into the local community. Outreach sessions were initially delivered at community venues - schools, faith groups and health centres. During the pandemic and resulting lockdowns, the team successfully switched to virtual delivery. The team have been able to continue to support the development of learners throughout the pandemic, through free online ESOL classes, with no gaps in delivery.