A vehicle transfer is where an existing licence holder transfers their vehicle and licence to a new proprietor.

This transaction is negotiated between the two concerned parties, not the council. A transfer application form is then completed by both parties. There is a transfer fee of £40.80.

How to transfer an existing vehicle and licence

Fill in the application form and email it and supporting documents to Licensing.

Paperclip You must email these documents to Email :

  • The completed application form, signed by both the current vehicle owner and the new vehicle owner
  • A copy of the new owner's DVLA driving licence
  • Vehicle insurance certificate in the name of the new owner
  • A photograph of the new V5 logbook in the new owner's name, or proof of purchase like a new keeper's slip or detailed receipt
  • A letter from the new owner's Operator base, confirming the vehicle will be working through them

Clock Completing this form takes around 15 minutes

Download the transferral application form

After you have submitted the application form and documents

You will be contacted by telephone to make payment for your transferral application: Licence costs

Contact Licensing

  • Kirklees Council
  • Address Licensing Service, PO Box 1720, Huddersfield, HD1 9EL
  • Phone 01484 456868
  • Email
Was this information helpful?