To become a licenced driver you need to have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 2 years.
You must have the right to work in the UK.
Failure to follow the exact procedure will result in your application being rejected. For the full procedure go to apply for a taxi driver licence including Hackney Carriage and Private Hire.
You will need to apply for one or more of the following licences:
- Hackney Carriage vehicle licence
- Private hire vehicle licence
- Private hire Operators licence
To apply for an operator's only licence you do not need to hold a full driving licence.
You may also have to pay additional fees other than those below. For example Medical Fees paid directly to your GP and Advanced Driving Test Fees.
|New Driver (Private Hire or Hackney Carriage) Licence 3 years||£294.00|
|Knowledge Theory Test||£76.50|
|Drivers licence Renewal - 3 year||£238.00|
|Transfer an existing vehicle and licence||£40.80|
|New vehicle licence (includes plates, disc, door signs and HPI check)||£186.70|
|Vehicle licence renewal (includes plates and disc)||£132.00|
|Taxi test (payable to garage directly)||£50.00|
|Operator's licence (up to 2 vehicles) - 1 year licence
(DBS not included)
Operator's licence (up to 2 vehicles) - 5 year licence
(DBS not included)
|Operator's licence (3 vehicles and over) - 1 year licence (DBS not included)||£231.50|
|Operator's licence (3 vehicles and over) - 5 year licence (DBS not included)||£1166.00|
The difference between a Hackney Carriage and private hire vehicle licence
As a Hackney Carriage driver you can make yourself available for immediate hire on a designated Hackney Carriage stand and can also be hailed whilst in motion.
As a private hire driver, you must operate through a private hire operator and can only take booked fares. You cannot ply for hire.
If you work for yourself and your vehicle is suitable, you can apply to licence your own vehicle. There are however, certain conditions and policies.
If you do not have your own vehicle, you can look for work from an established private hire operator and use their vehicles.
Driver licences are available for 3 years only.
Operator licences can now last for 1 or 5 years
Vehicle licences still last for 1 year and need to be renewed annually.
Hackney Carriage and private hire policy
- Kirklees Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy
- Appendix A - Statement of Fitness and Suitability (1st August 2019)
- Appendix B - Driver conditions
- Appendix C - Driver Training policy
- Appendix D - Vehicle specification
- Appendix E - Policy on advertising on vehicles
- Appendix F - Hackney Carriage bylaws
- Appendix G - Vehicle conditions
- Appendix H - Private hire operator conditions
- Appendix I - Process for temporary lease vehicles
- Appendix J - List of offences
- Appendix K - Working with vulnerable people
Safeguarding children and vulnerable people
This document gives advice on human trafficking and child sexual exploitation, what you can do to help those at risk and who to contact if you think you may be carrying someone who is vulnerable and / or the victim of exploitation.
Transport contract opportunities with Kirklees Council
Kirklees Transport Team organise home to school transport for children with special educational needs and disabilities, and transport requirement for a number of other Council services. We tender long term transport routes, and also have short term and emergency requirements. Taxi and minibus operators/drivers are contracted to deliver this service, and we welcome new applications throughout the year.
If you are interested in applying to become an Approved Operator or Approved Driver, please contact the Transport Team for further information:
- Kirklees Transport Team
- Phone 01484 221000 Ext 71309
- Email email@example.com
- Kirklees Licensing Service
- Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2EY
- Phone 01484 456868
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org