To apply for a taxi driver licence (including Hackney Carriage and private hire) you need to have held a full DVLA driving licence for a minimum of 2 years. You will also need to:
- Provide proof that you are eligible to work in the UK
- Pass a medical with your registered doctor to Group 2 standard (for people with a driving job)
- Undergo an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
- Provide a DVLA check code
- Pass a practical driver training course
- Pass a knowledge test
Applicants can only attempt the Knowledge test three times if they fail on the third attempt we will not accept another application for a period of six months.
Applications stay valid for 6 months from the date that your DBS certificate is issued. If you do not pass and complete all of the required tests within this time, your application may be cancelled and any fees paid would not be refunded.
If you have any criminal convictions or cautions this could result in your application being refused. Please see our convictions policy for more information before you apply.
Apply for a taxi driver licence (including Hackney Carriage and private hire)
- Complete the application form and phone 01484 456868 and ask for a new driver appointment at the customer service centre
- Bring the completed application form, relevant ID's (listed on the application form) to the appointment
- Pay the fee of £151.47 (this includes a DBS check)
- DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) guidance
Clock Completing this form takes around 15 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need; your DVLA licence and National insurance numberDownload form
Medical examination application for a Hackney Carriage/private hire drivers licence
- Download the form and book an appointment with your registered GP to have the form completed
Paperclip Drivers must renew their medical when they reach 45 and every 5 years after that up to age 65.
Paperclip Drivers age 65 and over must renew their medical every year.Download form
- Kirklees Licensing Service
- Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2EY
- Phone 01484 456868
- Email email@example.com