Failure to follow the correct procedure for applying for a licence will result in your application being rejected.
- To apply for a taxi driver licence (including Hackney Carriage and Private Hire) you need to have held a full DVLA driving licence for a minimum of 2 years.
- Provide proof that you are eligible to work in the UK.
- You must have fully read the statement of Fitness and Suitability updated 1 August 2019 this is particularly relevant. If you have any criminal convictions or cautions this could result in your application being refused.
- Pass a Practical Advanced Driver Training Course at a cost of £80.00 and book online.
- Pass a medical with your registered doctor to Group 2 standard (for people with a driving job) this must be undertaken within six months of your licence being granted & is payable directly to your GP.
- Pass a knowledge Theory Test at a cost of £76.50
- Undertake an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and sign up to the DBS Update service at a cost of £110.00
- Complete the Application form (please note that only 3 year licenses are available at a cost of £249.31)
- Provide a DVLA check code
- Provide a valid email address
Medicals must have been taken within six months of Kirklees issuing a licence if the process has been held up for any reason e.g. having to retake a Knowledge Theory Test a new medical may have to be produced.
Apply for a taxi driver licence (including Hackney Carriage and Private Hire)
- You will be required to complete the Advanced Driving Test and Knowledge Theory Test and have obtained an up to date medical before making an appointment to apply for DBS
- When you have completed your Theory Test you will be contacted by Licensing with the result and an appointment will be made for you to visit the Customer Service Centre in Civic Centre 3
- Bring the completed application form, relevant ID's (listed on the application form) to the appointment
- DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) guidance
Clock Completing this form takes around 15 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need; your DVLA licence and National insurance numberDownload form
Medical examination application for a Hackney Carriage/private hire drivers licence
- Download the form and book an appointment with your registered GP to have the form completed
Paperclip Drivers must renew their medical when they reach 45 and every 5 years after that up to age 65.
Paperclip Drivers age 65 and over must renew their medical every year.Download form
- Kirklees Licensing Service
- Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2EY
- Phone 01484 456868
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org