Apply for a skip licence if you want to put a skip on a public road.

We only issue skip licences (permits) to the owners of skips.

Getting a skip licence

  • The skip owner must request a permit for each address where a skip is to be placed.
  • If more than 7 days is needed then at least one clear day's notice is required.

Apply for a skip licence

Contact us to request a permit

The skip owner must complete a Form of Agreement before licences can be issued.

The skip owner must have public liability insurance (minimum £10 million) and hold current and valid Waste Carrier and Goods Vehicle Operator licences.


  • The skip owner pays all charges.
  • The cost depends on how long the skip needs to stay on the highway.
Cost of permit
Number of days Charge
1 to 7 £14.67
8 to 14 £24.78
15 to 21 £30.44
22 to 28 £46.66
Skip found without permit £58.88
Release of impounded skip £518.84


  • Skips may only be deposited on a highway after a Permit has been granted by the Council.
  • Skips may only be deposited on the highway where a skip:
    • Is clearly and indelibly marked on the sides with the firm's name and telephone number or address,
    • The ends of the skip facing traffic is painted yellow and has two reflective chevrons to the required specification present on each corner.
    • Is coned at all times and lighted during the hours of darkness.
    • An individual skips do not exceed 5 metres in length x 2 metres in width.
  • Skips should not be deposited on footways or grass verges without the specific, prior approval in writing from the Council.
  • Full skips should be removed within 2 days or immediately on request from the Council.

Fines and penalties

If you don't put up the required safety lights and markings, you could be fined up to £1,000.

Was this information helpful?