How to request or object to a road closure, diversion routes, permanent and temporary closures, closures for demonstrations, parades and street parties.
How to request a road closure
Contact us to request a closure.
Clock At least 9 weeks notice is required unless it is an emergency.
Paperclip You will need to tell us:
- the location
- dates the closure is required
- type of work to be carried out
- a plan of the diversion route.
The cost of a closure is at least £865 for 4 weeks, but could be more depending on the duration of the closure.Contact us
Permanent closure of roads and footpaths
- A highway can only be permanently closed to implement a valid planning permission project or if it is no longer needed for public use.
Temporary closure of roads and footpaths
- This is normally due to streetworks or roadworks being carried out by a utility company (such as British Telecom, Transco or Yorkshire Water).
- Temporary closures can be in effect for a period of from 1 day to 18 months.
- A diversion route should be signed for you to follow.
Events and parades
- Closures for events and parades can only be granted with the written agreement of the Police , Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority) and the council.
- All of the council's costs involved in organising the closure must be paid by the event organiser.
- All required signage as agreed with the council (including diversion route signage) must be organised and paid for by the event organiser.
- For larger events up to three months are needed to properly organise and coordinate them.
- Demonstrations are not dealt with by the council. The Police must be contacted so they can make required arrangements.