Employing a personal assistant (PA) can give you more control and flexibility over how your needs are met and to receive support in a way that you choose.
You can employ a personal assistant to meet your needs by paying them yourself on a private basis or with a Direct Payment from the Council if you are eligible for one. A Direct Payment is an alternative to the Council providing you with their own brokered services.
What do personal assistants do
A personal assistant can help with a wide range of tasks; they can support you at home, at work, in education or when you are out and about. The support could include:
- Personal care - such as getting dressed
- Making meals or helping you to eat/drink
- Helping you take your medication
- Using transport, attending appointments or socialising if you need extra support whilst you are out.
Having a personal assistant can be more sociable. Many people employing a personal assistant consider them a friend as well as an employee and appreciate the consistency of having one-to-one support from someone they know well and get on with.
Support with hiring a personal assistant
If you are looking for support to advertise for a personal assistant please contact In2Care Kirklees via one of the following methods:
If you would like further information or support with hiring a personal assistant, please contact our Gateway to Care team who will put you in touch with Care Navigation.
A Care Navigator can:
- Talk through the different options to find and recruit a PA.
- Help to explain the responsibilities with employing a PA and give you information about agencies that can manage some of these responsibilities to make things easier for you.
- Help to check if you would be eligible for a Direct Payment to pay towards a PA.
- Answer any questions you have and provide all relevant information about Direct Payments and employing PA's.
- Put you in touch with In2Care Kirklees who can support with advertising and sourcing PAs.
Contact Gateway to care
Gateway to care is the contact for anyone that would like further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.
You can request this service by using our Gateway to care referral form.Contact us online
Other ways to request support
- Phone 01484 414933 (24 hours a day 7 days a week)