The rapidly rising cost of living is a huge squeeze on household wallets.

Taking action now, like making sure you're getting everything you're entitled to, budgeting, and cutting back on non-essential items can help you to manage better when prices jump.

There are quick and easy tools to check your income online, or reputable organisations that can help you to do this free of charge.

Benefits, Council Tax and other support and advice


Make sure you have claimed all the benefits you are entitled to. For working age families, this could be Universal Credit, Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Statutory Sick Pay.

  • Benefits - Check if you can get Housing Benefit to help with your rent, Council Tax Reduction, Universal Credit or other benefits.
  • How to claim Universal Credit - Universal Credit can help with your living costs if you're on a low income or out of work.
  • Better Off Kirklees - Find out about the benefits you are entitled to and get help to apply for them online. There is also information about how to find and apply for jobs.
  • Entitledto is a free online benefits calculator to get an estimate of what benefits you could be entitled to.
  • Cost of living payment - You may be able to get a payment from the government to help with the cost of living if you're getting certain benefits or tax credits. If you're eligible, you'll be paid automatically.

Council Tax

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax there is support available.

Other Council Tax support

Contact Council Tax if you are struggling to pay your bill, so we can make sure you are getting all the support you are entitled to.

Support and advice

  • Age UK offer a variety of services for people in later life. This includes support with benefit checks and household bills, keeping well and housing options.
  • Cheaper broadband and phone packages sets out a list of cheaper packages that are only available to customers who receive certain government benefits.
  • Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Centre can help to review your budget, check income, look at the best debt strategy and support you to deal with creditors.
  • Money Helper gives free guidance on benefits, everyday money, money troubles, pensions and savings.
  • Options for paying off your debts offers advice about making arrangements to pay your debts.
  • PayPlan provides solutions for people who have multiple debts.
  • Step Change Debt Charity offers help to manage your money better, debt advice and help with creditors.
  • Turn2Us has a free benefits calculator. Find out what benefits, grants or other schemes may be available.
  • Yorkshire Water - Help paying your bill advises on short term and longer-term schemes you can apply for if you are struggling to pay.
  • Sense Cost of Living Support Fund provides financial support for people with complex disabilities who live in the family home and are on a low income.

Advice for council tenants

Additional support for families with children

  • Auntie Pam's offers welcoming support for women and families. They give help and advice on housing, benefits, health and pregnancy, and have a clothes swap-shop.



  • Free school meals - If you receive certain benefits your child could get free school meals and holiday vouchers.
  • School transport - You could get help with school transport if you're on a low income or if the school is a distance away.
  • Uniform Exchange offers free, pre-loved school uniforms for children attending a school in Kirklees.

Risk of homelessness

If you need immediate help

  • Discretionary Housing Payments give short-term help with rent for people experiencing severe financial hardship.
  • Local Welfare Provision offers help for vulnerable people in short-term crisis with food, benefits, fuel costs and COVID-19 assistance. If food is required it usually arrives the same day or the next working day.

Additional support

  • Mental health support offers a range of resources and advice if you are experiencing mental health problems. Get confidential help and support.
  • Customer service centres - Visit us in person for help and get free access to computers and phones to contact a council service.
Stay Connected
Sign up for our cost of living newsletter
Was this information helpful?