You must check if you need approval before you construct or change buildings in certain ways.

You don't need to get approval yourself if you use a competent person scheme .

When you need approval

When you don't need approval

Types of application

There are 3 types of application:

Full plans
  • The most thorough option, suitable for any type of application.
  • You must submit full drawings and site location plans, which will be checked for compliance with the regulations, and other associated legislation.
  • You can expect a decision within 5 weeks, or 2 months with your consent.
  • You'll get a completion certificate within 8 weeks of completion of the building work as long as it complies.
Building notice
  • This application type is most appropriate for smaller projects.
  • It can't be used where the Fire Precautions Act applies or if you are building over or close to a public sewer.
  • Detailed plans are not normally required but may be asked for to clarify certain aspects of your proposals.
  • You can start work 2 days after your notice has been submitted.
  • You don't get formal approval like you do with full plans.
More information


Building Control charges

How to apply online

You can do this on the Planning Portal or Submit-a-Plan.

You can submit all 3 types of applications, as well as replacement doors and windows applications.

Clock You must register with the site. Registration is free.

Apply on the Planning Portal Apply on Submit-a-Plan

After you've applied

You will be able to login and track the progress of your application.

We will contact you for payment once we have checked your application.

Other ways to apply

You can also print out the forms, fill them in and send to us.

Other forms

Further advice

Contact Building Control