Contact our free-phone support line:
- Phone 01484 221928
Who is eligible for free school meals, how to apply for them and what happens after you have applied.
Free school lunch for every child in infant school
All infant school pupils in state funded schools in England are eligible for a free school meal. Every child in reception, year 1 and year 2 can enjoy a hot, nutritious meal at lunch time. Everyone is entitled, regardless of circumstances and you don't need to apply. Speak to your child's school for more information.
Apply for free school meals
Children and young people who live in Kirklees can apply for free school meals if they:
- attend full time at a local authority school or sixth form
- are under 19 years of age
and their parents or carers receive one or more of the following:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, but are not entitled to a Working Tax Credit and your annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) is less than £16,190
- Support under Part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
How to apply
Fill in our simple online form.
Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need both you and your partner's National Insurance Number or NASS (National Asylum Support Service) number.Apply online
After you've applied
We usually contact your child's school within 48 hours to tell them the date the entitlement to free school meals will start from.
We will also send you a letter telling you the start date of your free school meal entitlement. This is usually received within 5 working days.
In exceptional cases
For instance, if you have had a recent change of income or circumstances, we will need confirmation of your new income.
In this case, it may take up to 10 working days before you receive the letter about your child's entitlement.
We will contact you for further information if we need it.
Your application is anonymous
No one will know you have applied and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
Other things you are entitled to
If your child is in full time education, and you receive one or more of the benefits stated above, please fill in an application form even if your child is in Reception, year 1 or year 2.
This is because they are also entitled to things like free milk, help towards school trips and other support.
If you've filled in the application, your child's school receives additional money to be able to provide these extra things. This is called the pupil premium.
Contact free school meals
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 01484 221000