Dewsbury Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) is a five year Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) regeneration programme delivered in partnership with Kirklees Council which aims to:
- preserve and enhance certain key buildings located within the conservation area, through grant assistance
- stimulate economic activity through creating a quality environment
- raise awareness of Dewsbury's heritage through training and education.
The scheme covers a defined area of the Northgate part of Dewsbury Town Centre Conservation Area and is focused on Pioneer House as well as the following priority buildings:
- 23 Northgate (former co-op funeral parlour)
- Northgate House (currently Families relief charity shop)
- Queensway Arcade triangle of properties
- Kingsway Arcade
- other specifically identified reserve properties.
Grants and restoration
Grant funding is available for external works for buildings in use, as well as for bringing vacant floorspace back into use, in line with conservation area guidelines.
As well as physical restoration, the scheme will also offer training at two levels:
- General understanding of the townï¿½s quality architecture
- Technical training of restoration techniques, which aims to support local employment opportunities.
Any physical restoration will also promote and use local services, labour and products where possible throughout the delivery of the programme, further strengthening skills and employment in the area.
Community involvement through regular activity and events will also help raise awareness of Dewsbury's wonderful architecture.
- Dewsbury Conservation Area Appraisal
- Dewsbury Design Guide
- Dewsbury Strategic Development Framework
- Dewsbury Townscape heritage Initiative Guidance Notes
- Dewsbury Townscape Heritage Initiative Booklet
- Dewsbury Townscape Heritage Initiative Map
- Dewsbury Townscape Heritage contractor/consultant reference form
- Dewsbury Townscape Heritage architectural services guidance
- Dewsbury Townscape Heritage grant application procedure
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 01484 221000