Check your eligibility and apply for a Blue Badge. You can also use this service to re-apply or report a lost or stolen Blue Badge.
You can apply for yourself, someone else or an organisation.
A Blue Badge costs £10
They usually last up to 3 years.
You must reapply for a Blue Badge before your current one expires.
Who can apply
If you're disabled or have a health condition that affects your mobility, you can apply for a Blue Badge.
You can also apply for a badge if you care for a child with a health condition that affects their mobility.
A person is automatically eligible for a badge if they are over two years old and meet at least one of the following criteria. Proof that they meet the criteria must be provided.
- are registered as severely sight impaired - blind
- get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - check your decision letter if you're not sure
- get War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
- received a lump sum payment as part of the Armed Forces and Reserved Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability
- Terminal illness and not expected to live more than 6 months
If you get Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
You're automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you either:
- scored 8 points or more in the 'moving around' area of your PIP assessment
- scored 10 points in the 'planning and following journeys' area of your PIP assessment and were put in category 'E' - this means your stress, anxiety or other mental health issue stops you leaving the house
Check your PIP decision letter if you're not sure.
If you're not automatically eligible - assessed criteria
You can still get a badge if:
- you have long term problems walking or going to places - including problems caused by stress, anxiety or other mental health issues
- you have severe problems using both your arms
- you're applying on behalf of a child aged over 2 who has problems walking or going to places, or a child under 3 who needs to be close to a vehicle because of a health condition
Documents you need to provide for automatic criteria
Before you apply, make sure you have the documents needed for the criteria you are applying for:
Documents you need to provide for assessed criteria
Filling in the application if you're not automatically eligible
If you're not automatically eligible you'll need to fill in an extra part of the application form to explain why you need a badge.
Badges for organisations
Organisations concerned with the care of disabled people can apply for a Blue Badge for vehicles like minibuses or specially adapted vehicles if they:
- care for and transport disabled people who would meet the eligibility criteria for an individual Blue Badge; and
- have a clear need for an organisational badge rather than using the individual Blue Badges of people it transports.
Proof of address and identity
We will accept the following as proof of address and identity:
Apply, re-apply or report a lost or stolen Blue Badge
Fill in our simple online form.
You should re-apply for a Blue Badge at least 12 weeks before your current one expires.
You will need to provide up to date evidence and may need to attend an assessment to determine if you still qualify.
Clock Completing this form for automatic criteria takes around 15 minutes
Clock Completing this form for assessed criteria takes around 25 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need to provide a photo or scan of your:-
- proof of identity (such as a birth certificate, passport or driving licence)
- proof of address (such as a Council Tax bill or government letter)
- a recent digital photograph (showing your head and shoulders)
- a debit card to pay £10.
You'll also need to know:
- your National Insurance number (if you have one)
- the details of your current Blue Badge (if you're reapplying)
You can save and return to your application at a later date if you need to.Apply online
After you've applied
If you are eligible, your Blue Badge will be sent to your home address.
Please allow up to 12 weeks for your application to be processed.
If you are not eligible, your payment will be refunded and you will be notified of the reason you are not eligible.
If you would like to apply for a Blue Badge and you do not have access to a computer, you can call Kirklees Direct on 01484 414847 or you can use a self-service computer at one of our Customer Service Centres.