The NHS can provide equipment, such as walking sticks, walking frames and wheelchairs to aid mobility. These are provided on long-term loans and you can arrange this through your GP, hospital consultant or physiotherapist.

Walking sticks and walking frames (zimmer frames or rollators)

You can use a walking stick to give you extra support and help you balance. It can give you confidence and make walking less painful.

A walking frame gives you more support than walking sticks. You can use them to get around your home or to get out and about.

How to get a walking stick or walking frame

You can borrow some types of walking sticks or walking frames from the NHS. Speak to your GP, physiotherapist or hospital staff. You might have to pay a small deposit.

You can buy online or from mobility shops.

Which? has advice on:-


Ask your GP, physiotherapist or hospital staff to refer you to your local wheelchair service for an assessment. You'll need to do this before you can get an NHS wheelchair.

The local wheelchair service will decide if you need a wheelchair and, if so, what type.

Opcare are the wheelchair providers for Calderdale and Kirklees.

Borrowing wheelchairs

You can sometimes borrow NHS wheelchairs for a short while (for example, after an operation).

Shopmobility rent mobility scooters, wheelchairs and walkers. This service is provided by Age UK Calderdale & Kirklees.

If you need a short-term loan of mobility aids they can often be loaned from the local British Red Cross. You can ether collect equipment or, in some cases, have it delivered for a small fee.

Mobility scooters

Mobility scooters can be useful if you struggle to walk or are disabled, need to travel long distances, and are able to easily get on and off a mobility scooter.

How to get a mobility scooter

Mobility scooters aren't generally available on the NHS. You can buy online or from mobility shops.

Which? has advice on:-

Buying your own equipment or adaptations

A lot of equipment is widely available both on the high street and online.

10% discount at the following stores

Medequip provide the community equipment service for Kirklees Council and North Kirklees and Greater Huddersfield NHS CCG.

Download the Medequip off retail leaflet to get 10% off your purchase at the following stores:-

Please present this leaflet at the above locations to receive your discount.

Further help and advice