The Concessionary Fares Scheme is administered by the council's Means Tested Benefits team on behalf of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (Metro) and provides concessionary travel for applicants that have certain disabilities.

Benefits of travel permit schemes

  • Blind passes - Free travel on buses at any time of day in West Yorkshire and off-peak throughout England, and free train travel any time in West Yorkshire.
  • Disabled passes - Free, off-peak bus travel throughout England and half-fare off-peak train travel in West Yorkshire.


A person will be eligible for a disabled/blind person's permit if they:

  • Have a disability or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on their ability to walk. Including people in receipt of:
    • The higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
    • The War Pensioners Mobility Supplement.
    • A lump sum benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (compensation) Scheme within tariff levels 1-8 (inclusive).
    • Personal Independence Payment (PIP), where the applicant has been awarded at least 8 points in either the PIP "Moving Around" or "Communicating Verbally" descriptor.
  • Have a valid Blue Badge
  • Are partially sighted
  • Are severely sight impaired (registered blind)
  • Are profoundly or severely deaf
  • Are without speech
  • Do not have arms or have long term loss of use in both arms
  • Have a disability or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on their ability to walk
  • Have a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind, which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • Have been or would have been refused a driving licence on certain medical grounds. You will not qualify if your condition is related to the persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

Apply for or renew a permit if you are below pensionable age

You can renew your travel permit up to 90 days before it is due to expire.

Fill in our simple online form.

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Apply online

After you've applied

Your application is passed to the Concessionary Travel Team for assessment.

Digital Kirklees transaction logo

Upload evidence

Upload your evidence afterwards if you don't have it when you complete your application form.

Other ways to apply

You can also complete the form in any customer service centre or library and information centre (LIC).

Apply for or renew a Senior Pass if you are of pensionable age

You can apply four weeks before your eligibility date.

Clock These passes are applied for through West Yorkshire Metro. They can be used within the county and across England.

Apply for a Senior Pass

After you've applied

You should receive your pass within 7-10 days if you apply online, and within 21 days if you apply at a travel centre.

If you have lost or had your pass stolen

You must replace your pass.

Replace your Senior Pass

Replace your Disabled or Blind Pass

Contact the Disabled Travel Team

If you know someone who would like to apply for a permit but does not have access to a computer, they can call into one of our Customer Service Centres, Library and Information centres or contact the Disabled Travel Team

Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for staying healthy
Was this information helpful?