Kirklees Council provides day opportunities to help people with complex dementia to continue to live in their own homes and remain as independent as possible for longer.
Day opportunities can give carers or family a break, between Monday - Friday (dependent on assessment of need).
We strive to ensure that we create a friendly environment that helps support the needs of individuals who attend the service.
To find out if you are eligible for this service you will need to have a needs assessment.
- Safe, friendly and stimulating environments where people will feel comfortable and at ease
- Areas in the buildings where you can have a quieter environment if you prefer
- Areas where you can join in with activities
- Many quiet areas where you can sit and read or just get away from it all
- Small lounge where you can listen to music or spend some time in a small group with other service users and staff
- TV room to watch a Hollywood Musicals, old black and white movies, or newsreels from the past
- Key worker for your individual support.
- Adapted rooms to enable participation in activities including: reminiscence rooms, tea rooms, sports room, as well as beauty and hair dressing facilities and our own pub.
We believe that maintaining a healthy, varied diet is important in your overall wellbeing and physical health. We offer a varied menu and have meals that cover a wide range of dietary and cultural needs.
Refreshments are served throughout the day including a welcome hot drink on arrival, a two course midday meal and a hot drink with a light snack before you go home.
We have spacious and attractive dining rooms which offer the opportunity to dine in comfort in a sociable environment, receiving the level of support appropriate to your individual needs.
We offer a range of activity programmes on a daily basis these include:
- Games which help to stimulate your physical and mental wellbeing
- Arts and crafts
- Music and dance therapy
- Reminiscence therapy
- Reminiscing using the touch screen computer.
- Morning exercises
- Hairdressing salon (there is a charge for this service)
- Beauty room - genuine spa experience
- Gardening - growing a variety of plants and vegetables
- Workshop room
- Knit and Natter
We also arrange events and outings to the local and wider community. We encourage people to maintain hobbies or learn new skills.
However if you do not wish to join in any of the activities, there are a number of quiet areas which you can use to chat with friends or staff or read. We also have a library which can be used in the quiet areas.
The activities are designed to meet the needs of the individual which have been highlighted in their care plan reflecting our person centred approach to care.
At Knowl Park House we offer a range of therapies to help promote wellbeing.
Our hairdresser visits our hairdressing salon twice a week to provide perms, cuts or a wash and set.
We also have a beauty room offering a genuine spa experience that is relaxing and peaceful and encourages a real sense of peace and tranquility. You can enjoy a manicure, hand massage or have a foot spa.
We try to ensure everyone always has a good time in the arts and crafts area and are always proud of the work they produce, which you can often see displayed around our building.
Taking part in arts and crafts encourages participation as well as helping to maintain existing skills and learning new ones. It requires concentration and coordination and also gives a sense of satisfaction when artwork is completed.
You can provide your own transport, or access ours. We will organise pick up and drop off times and inform you and your carer about the details.
There is a charge for our day service. Depending on your situation you may be able to receive some help, there are small charges for transport and meals, however your social worker will explain this before you start day opportunities and also for some of the activities that you may access each week.
Smoking is not allowed, in any part of our building. However, if you are a smoker, you can smoke in the garden areas.
Our management team will be delighted to give you a tour of our facilities and discuss your needs with you in more detail. A personal visit is the best way to really see what is on offer here.
Contact Community Health and Social Care for more information or to arrange a visit.
This is a service offered by Shared Lives in which carers registered with the scheme offer day support in their own homes. Each session is for a minimum of 4 hours and it could be during the day, evening or over the weekend.
Kirklees Council runs one day centre known as Knowl Park House in Mirfield.
Knowl Park House
- address Knowl Park House, Crowlees Road, Mirfield, WF14 9PP
How to contact adult social care services
The Community Health and Social Care Hub is the contact for anyone that would like further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.