There are several different ways of dealing with the problem of noise. These are the options:

Speak to the person causing the problem

They may respond better to a polite word from you rather than a visit from a council official.

Write to the person causing the problem

They may respond better to a polite letter from you rather than an official one from the council.

Here is a Sample letter to send to your neighbour which includes some of the points that you could use.

Use a mediation service

This can prove effective in finding long-term solutions to neighbour issues and it can avoid the possible unpleasantness that may arise if the council becomes involved and has to take formal action.

Yorkshire Mediation is an independent organisation offers a confidential dispute resolution service across Kirklees, Leeds and Wakefield. Contact them if you think you would benefit from mediation.

Complain to Homes and neighbourhoods or registered social landlords

If you live in a house managed by the council, or if the problems come from a council tenant, action may be taken under the terms of the tenancy agreement. Homes and Neighbourhoods will be able to give you advice on this: Contact Homes and Neighbourhoods

Similar action may be taken by registered social landlords if their tenants are in breach of tenancy conditions.

Complain to us

How to complain to us

Fill in our simple online form.

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Paperclip We are unable to investigate anonymous complaints. If you make a complaint your details are kept confidential. See our privacy statement

Report it

After you've complained

We will visit your neighbour and/or write to them telling them we have received a complaint and explain their responsibilities about nuisance. We do not tell them the name of the person who has complained at this stage.

If the problem continues

  • We will ask you to keep written records which help us to try to witness the problem and enable us to take formal action. You can record them on this Complaints record sheet. Make sure you record:
    • the date
    • start and finish times
    • description of the nuisance
    • where it is coming from
    • how if affects you
  • Formal action may be by a legal notice and ultimately prosecution.

If the case goes to court

  • We may require you to be a witness and may not be able to keep the complaint anonymous.
  • You may have to give evidence in a court of law against the person causing the problem.
Digital Kirklees transaction logo

Consult a solicitor

You could use a solicitor to write a letter on your behalf to the person causing the problem or to give you legal advice.

Take your own legal action

You can take your own legal action in the Magistrates' Court. We have an information booklet about how to do this. Contact us if you would like a copy of it.

Contact West Yorkshire Police

The Police deal with certain types of neighbour problems such as those involving violence, or threatening behaviour.

  • Police (non-emergency)
  • Phone 101

Playing loud music

There is no set volume that you can play music. It depends on whether anyone is likely to be disturbed by the noise.

There are no set times when you can play loud music. It depends on whether you are causing annoyance. In general, daytime noise is more likely to be tolerated than night time noise.

We can't take action against occasional cars passing through. However, if there is a persistent offender, report it and we will investigate.

Burglar alarms

Every year there is an increase in the number of complaints made to Kirklees. Repeated or prolonged ringing of an alarm can cause great distress and annoyance to neighbours, particularly if they are trying to sleep. Where an alarm causes annoyance, officers from the council may arrange to have the alarm silenced.

Steps you can take to stop your alarm being a nuisance

  • Have your alarm installed by a reputable alarm company and make sure that it complies with current standards.
  • Make sure an automatic cut-out device is fitted to silence the alarm after 20 minutes of continuous ringing.
  • Keep your alarm system in good working order and have it serviced regularly.
  • Notify the alarm installer, the police and the council of at least two keyholders using the form below. Keyholders may be contacted if your alarm rings for a long period of time.

Nominate burglar alarm keyholders

Fill in our simple online form to register your alarm keyholders with the Police and the council.

Clock Completing this form takes around 5 minutes

Register keyholders

After you've registered them

Keyholders may be contacted if your alarm rings for a long period of time

What we will do if an alarm is causing a nuisance

  1. We will contact the police then try to find the occupier or keyholders for the premises so that they can switch the alarm off.
  2. If we can't find a keyholder and the alarm sounds continually for more than twenty minutes or intermittently for more than 1 hour, we will arrange to disconnect your alarm.
  3. If the alarm box is sounding externally, we will hire an alarm engineer to silence it.
  4. If the internal alarm bell is the cause of the problem, we will apply for a warrant from a magistrate to enter the premises.
  5. Having obtained the warrant we will enter the premises with a locksmith/alarm engineer and silence the internal alarm.
  6. We will then charge the owner or occupier of the premises for the costs of having the alarm disconnected

Barking dogs

What to do when a neighbour's dog is always barking and causing a noise nuisance.

Was this information helpful?