An appeal is a request for a review of a decision taken by your local social care office. It is one of a range of options for dealing with concerns. If you think the council has made a decision about your care and support that you think is unfair you can ask for the decision to be looked at again.

Kirklees Council try to make sure that they always give people a high-quality service and sort problems out straight away wherever possible. However, there may be times when you are not satisfied. The Social Care and Wellbeing for Adults Appeals Process is a simple way for you to ask for a decision to be looked at again and to receive a quick reply.

Who can appeal

Any adult who:

  • already gets social care support;
  • the council has a duty to provide support to;
  • is your representative, for example, a carer, relative or advocate; or
  • a carer (in their own right).

What you can appeal about

The appeals process can be used to deal with concerns about:-

  • Eligibility (whether you meet the rules about needing care)
  • Social Care Assessment (this decides what care you need)
  • Carers Assessment (this decides what your carers needs are)
  • Financial Assessment (this decides what you need to pay)
  • Support Plan (this is a plan of the support you need)
  • Deferred Payment Agreement (this scheme helps people who need to sell their homes to pay to live in a care home)
  • Decisions from the:
    • Learning disabilities panel
    • Mental health panel
    • Older peoples residential panel
    • Physical disabilities panel

Help to make an appeal

If you need to make an appeal and find it difficult to share your views and feelings, or understand the information it may be useful to have an advocate.

An advocate is a person who speaks up for you, or helps you to speak up for yourself. You may want this to be a family member or friend, however if there is no one available we can give you information about how to find an independent advocate to support you with raising your concerns.

How to appeal

Fill in our simple online form

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Appeal online

Other ways to appeal

  • Kirklees Council Adult Social Care Complaints
  • Address Freepost: RTHS-EUEY-ZYCB, Adult Social Care Customer Services, PO Box 1720, Huddersfield, HD1 9EL
  • Phone 01484 225115
  • Email
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about Kirklees
Was this information helpful?