The type of care home which is best for you depends upon what your needs are. Some care homes offer care from qualified nurses. Some specialise in supporting people with specific needs, such as people with a learning disability.

You could apply for a care home as a self-funder and pay for it privately if you have funds to do so.

However, if you require financial assistance you will need to find out whether you are eligible and have your needs assessed. Please Contact adult social care services

Before you consider a care home

Consider what options may be available to help you to remain living in your own home. These options could include equipment and adaptations, support with obtaining a meal, cleaning, gardening or help with personal care such as washing.

Living independently at home.

Different types of care homes

One of the first things to consider when choosing a care home is whether you need it to provide nursing care, or personal care.

Residential care homes

A residential care home registered to provide personal care can help you with things like:

  • eating meals
  • washing
  • going to the toilet
  • taking your medicine

Nursing care homes

If you need nursing care, a nursing home will be more suitable. For example, a nursing home will specialize in certain types of disability or health conditions such as dementia or complex care needs.

These types of care homes provide 24-hour nursing care by qualified nurses and healthcare assistants. There will always be nursing staff on duty.

Finding a care home

Kirklees Council care homes

Day care and respite

Shepley - Cherry Trees
  • Cherry Trees
  • Address Field Way, Shepley, Huddersfield, HD8 8DQ

Overview - Cherry Trees - NHS

Cherry Trees CQC (Care Quality Commision) Report

Heckmondwike - Milldale
  • Milldale
  • Address 4 Nunroyd, Heckmondwike, WF16 9HB

Overview - Milldale - NHS

Milldale CQC (Care Quality Commision) Report

Short stay care homes

Mirfield - Ings Grove
  • Ings Grove
  • Address Doctor Lane, Mirfield, Huddersfield, WF14 8DP

Overview - Ings Grove House - NHS

Ings Grove CQC (Care Quality Commision) Report

Netherton - Moorlands Grange
  • Moorlands Grange
  • Address Spruce Drive, Netherton, Huddersfield, HD4 7WA

Overview - Moorlands Grange- NHS

Moorlands Grange CQC (Care Quality Commision) Report

Dementia care homes

Newsome - Castle Grange
  • Castle Grange
  • Address Ings Lane, Newsome, Huddersfield, HD4 6LT

Overview - Castle Grange- NHS

Castle Grange CQC (Care Quality Commision) Report

Heckmondwike - Claremont House
  • Claremont House
  • Address Brighton Street, Heckmondwike, HD4 6LT

Overview - Claremont House- NHS

Claremont House CQC (Care Quality Commision) Report

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

For a care home to legally operate in the United Kingdom, they must be registered with the Care Quality Commission. They make regular inspections and monitor the progress of each care home to ensure they are meeting the needs of the people who live there.

The CQC publish a report and give an overall rating for each care home. The ratings are:

  • Outstanding
  • Good
  • Requires improvement
  • Inadequate

Care Quality Commission includes all reports and ratings.

How to contact adult social care services

The Community Health and Social Care Hub is the contact for anyone that would like further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.

Contact adult social care services

Was this information helpful?