Care needs assessments are for any adults (18 years of age or over) who may need care and support because of serious illness, physical disability, learning disability, mental health problems or frailty because of old age. The assessment will help to identify what level of care and support a person needs.
If you are a carer, you can also have an assessment, even if the person you care for isn't assessed. See Carer's assessment and eligibility for support if you are a carer.
There's no charge for this and you're entitled to one regardless of your income and savings.
What this is used for
A needs assessment is used to identify what your care and support needs are and how these impact on your well-being.
The assessment is really important to help us understand:
- Your strengths and abilities
- What's working well
- What's not working so well
- If you need any help
The assessment will start to consider how your care needs might be met. This could include identifying how preventative services could help such as:
- devices to open jars and tins more easily - see Help to stay safe and independent in your home with the help of equipment and adaptations for our free equipment from Kirklees Council
- assistive technology to keep you safe - see Carephone Home Safety Service
- or information about support available in the community might meet your need
- it will also identify if you have a higher level of need where you may need help in your own home or care in a care home.
Step 1 – Eligibility for support
All councils in England use the same national level of care and support needs to work out if you qualify for support from us.
These guidelines are set nationally by the government and are known as the eligibility criteria.
Step 2: Request a care needs assessment
You can request a care needs assessment by using our Gateway to care referral form.
Fill in our simple online form.
Clock Completing this form takes less than 5 minutes.
PaperclipTo complete this form you will need an email address.Contact us
After you've contacted us
An assessment will take place within 28 days of it being requested. If your situation is very urgent and you are in crisis or serious risk of harm, we will aim to see you within 24 hours.
Other ways to request an assessment
You can request an assessment over the phone
- Phone 01484 414933 (24 hours a day 7 days a week)
- NHS Choices care and support guide provides national guidance assessing your care and support needs.