Needs assessments are for adults (18 years of age or over) who may need support because of a disability, ill health or old age.
Having an assessment
An assessment starts as a discussion with you to find out more about the kind of things you need support with.
We will ask questions to see whether you're able to:
- get in and out of bed
- get washed and dressed
- go to the toilet unaided
- make and eat meals
- move around your home safely
- use local services, like buses, and go to the shops
- get enough contact with other people
- keep your home clean and safe
We'll also check whether you have any support in place already, and then work out if you qualify for some help from us to arrange your care.
How we work out if you qualify for support
We use the Government's national eligibility criteria to work out if you qualify for support from us. This includes the following:-
- whether you have a disability, health need or impairment
- whether, as a result of a disability, health need or impairment, you're unable to manage some important aspects of your life without support
- whether this is having a significant impact on your physical, mental, emotional or social wellbeing
Read more about the Determination of eligibility under the Care Act .
How to contact adult social care services
Gateway to care is the contact for anyone that would like further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.