Needs assessments are for adults (18 years of age or over) who may need support because of a disability, ill health or old age.

Having an assessment

An assessment starts as a discussion with you to find out more about the kind of things you need support with.

We will ask questions to see whether you're able to:

  • get in and out of bed
  • get washed and dressed
  • go to the toilet unaided
  • make and eat meals
  • move around your home safely
  • use local services, like buses, and go to the shops
  • get enough contact with other people
  • keep your home clean and safe

We'll also check whether you have any support in place already, and then work out if you qualify for some help from us to arrange your care.

How we work out if you qualify for support

We use the Government's national eligibility criteria to work out if you qualify for support from us. This includes the following:-

  • whether you have a disability, health need or impairment
  • whether, as a result of a disability, health need or impairment, you're unable to manage some important aspects of your life without support
  • whether this is having a significant impact on your physical, mental, emotional or social wellbeing

You can read more about the national eligibility criteria on the social care institute for excellence website.

Apply for a needs assessment

You can apply for an assessment of your needs by using our Gateway to care referral form.

When you contact us, we will always check to see if we can help you without carrying out a full assessment

Fill in our simple online form.

Clock Completing this form takes less than 5 minutes.

PaperclipTo complete this form you will need an email address.

Contact us

After you've contacted us

A Gateway to care officer will then contact you directly via email or a telephone call.

We will ask you some questions to get an idea of the difficulties you're having and how you are coping. We'll use the information you give us to work out whether we can help you and, if so, how quickly we can come and visit you to assess your needs.

Other ways to request an assessment

  • Phone 01484 414933 (24 hours a day 7 days a week)
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for healthy living
Was this information helpful?