Out and About travel training is a service for young people and adults with learning disabilities (including autistic spectrum conditions) who would like to be able to make a journey by themselves on foot, or by bus or train. You will be supported by trained staff from the Community Enablement Team at Kirklees Council.
Need support with a school journey? Young people who are interested in developing the skills to travel to and from school or college independently can find more information from the Transport Team at Kirklees Council:
About the training
Out and About travel training is a step by step way for a travel trainer from the Community Enablement Team to work with you, to plan and practice a journey that is important to you, while you gain the skills that will keep you safe.
The only cost for Out and About travel training is what you would normally pay when making a journey (such as your bus fare). Other than that, the service is free.
- You can make journeys on your own, to places that are important to you.
- You will feel good about yourself.
- Knowing how to travel safely will help you to feel happier about travelling on your own.
- You won't have to rely on someone else to make regular journeys that are important to you.
This film clip is about two young men, Martin and Matthew, and their experience of learning to travel independently
- Phone 01484 456849
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
One of our management team will arrange to visit you, usually at your home, to explain more and assess whether Out and About travel training is right for you.