If you want to carry out a 'licensable activity' on unlicenced premises your will need to apply for a Temporary Events Notice (TEN). The process of applying is formally known as 'serving' a Temporary Events Notice.

Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, for example holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

You must be at least 18 to apply for a TEN

How to apply

  • Download the form from the Licensing Website.
  • If you 'serve' your application form by email you only need to send one copy to licensing@kirklees.gov.uk. It is then the responsibility of the licensing authority to ensure that West Yorkshire Police and Environmental health receive copies.
  • If you 'serve' your application form by post to Licensing it is your responsibility to ensure that the West Yorkshire Police and Environmental Health also receive one copy each. The address for all departments is below:
    Flint Street Depot, Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield HD1 6LG.
  • You should apply at least 10 working days before the event.
  • The date of submitting the TEN and the day of the event are not included in the total number of working days before the event.
  • The cost for this licence is £21.00 on receipt of the form Licensing will call you to take a card payment.

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Download form

After you've applied

  • We will give you written acknowledgement of the receipt of the notice.

Where to send your form

If you're sending your form by post send one copy each to:

  • Kirklees Council
  • Address Licensing Service, PO Box 1720, Huddersfield, HD1 9EL
  • West Yorkshire Police, c/o Kirklees Council
  • Address Licensing Service, PO Box 1720, Huddersfield, HD1 9EL
  • Kirklees Council
  • Address Environmental Health, Pollution & Noise Control, PO Box 1720, Huddersfield, HD1 9EL

Restrictions, objections, appeals and displaying your notice

Your event must:

  • have fewer than 500 people at all times, including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours (7 days)

Number of notices you can apply for

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.

If you're organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24-hour gap between them.

Late 'TENs'

The latest you can apply for a 'late TEN' is 5 working days before the event (but not earlier than 9 working days).

If you don't hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.

The council can't refuse a notice unless the Police or Environmental Health object to it. They must do this within 3 working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there's an objection, we will hold a meeting (called a 'hearing') no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, the notice won't be valid and you can't hold the event.

If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates' court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Contact Licensing

Was this information helpful?