We will assist rough sleepers, or anyone in danger of rough sleeping, to get the appropriate support and accommodation to get them off the streets and improve their lives.

Where to get help

If you are a rough sleeper, StreetLink will be able to put you in contact with help in your area. Go to their website or phone them on 0300 500 0914

StreetLink sends your details to the local authority or outreach service for the area, who will help you find somewhere to stay and give support.

Practical help if you're on the streets

You can get help with everyday needs other than housing while you're homeless and sleeping on the street. This includes food, access to benefits and healthcare.

Help with food, heating and clothing

Kirklees Council's Local welfare provision team run a non-cash scheme, which provides support like, food parcels, furniture and debt advice.

To get food from a food bank, you usually need a food bank voucher. You can ask for a voucher from your GP, a local homeless charity or advice agency such as Citizens Advice. Take your voucher to the food bank and exchange it for a food parcel. It will contain at least 3 days' emergency food.

There are also a number of charities/organisations that help the homeless and those in various stages of poverty:

  • The Welcome Centre provide food packs for people who have been referred to them by front line services including Huddersfield Mission and Housing Support.
  • The Huddersfield Mission provides a café/drop in service for homeless people.
  • Bread of Life a local drop in centre in Huddersfield their soup kitchen is open to all every Tuesday 2:30pm to 5pm
  • Dewsbury Minster offers a drop in free food service Monday - Saturday 9.30am - 11am (limited to 3 people at a time)
  • St Anne's Community Services supports single homeless people with support needs
  • Basement Project has centres in Dewsbury and Huddersfield. Offers a drop-in breakfast club in Dewsbury every Wednesday 9.30am-12pm and drop-in for basic assessment 2:30pm every Monday.
  • Fusion Housing has offices in Huddersfield and Dewsbury offering free confidential advice on all housing and housing-related matters for people aged 16-30
  • Baptist Church (Drop-in), Wakefield Old Road, Dewsbury, Monday & Thursday 1pm-4pm. Offer a free hot meal and a night shelter is open when the temperature is below 0°C
  • Local organisations - Homelessness

Day centres

Day centres are places that people sleeping on the streets can go to during the day. People who have left the streets can also use them for activities and companionship even if they are living in their own homes.

The services provided by each day centre vary, as do their opening times. Most do not open at weekends or in the evening. Generally, day centres provide:

  • cheap or free food
  • laundry room
  • washing facilities
  • activities
  • advice on finding accommodation and benefits
  • access to medical treatment

Finding a job

The Pathways to Employment service co-ordinates training, education and job opportunities for people who have been homeless. They also run a range of courses for people to improve their skills.

Free showers, laundry and advice

You may be able to have a shower, do your laundry and charge your phone at a homeless day centre.

If you have a dog

Most hostels will not accept pets. It is best to check in advance.

Claim benefits

You can still claim benefits if you're sleeping on the streets or in a hostel, even if you don't have a fixed address or a bank account.

Benefits and money problems,

Finding a place to stay

If you are homeless you may be able to stay in a hostel. For a full list of hostels in Kirklees go to Hostels for the homeless


You can still vote when you are homeless, even if you don't have a fixed address.

Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP)

Our SWEP team aims to prevent deaths on the streets in severe weather. They will provide a bed for anyone sleeping rough in Kirklees

SWEP has the potential to change a life every person who is given a bed through SWEP is visited by a housing officer the next morning, to talk them through their options and discuss how they can get longer term help.

Some people just are not ready if people are not ready to accept the help through SWEP our partners at the mission and the welcome centre both offer somewhere they can go and get warm and have a chat.

We allow pets wherever possible, although there are a few places we work with where pets can't go. In all cases, we take this into considering when we allocate emergency accommodation.

Contact SWEP

Further guidance and support

Contact us

  • Tell us about your housing circumstances.

Clock Completing this form takes 5 minutes

Paperclip To complete this form you will need to provide your name and contact details.

After you've contacted us

We will contact you with an appointment for housing advice and an assessment of your needs.

Other ways to contact us

You can call into one of our Customer services centres or telephone us:-

To allow enough time for us to discuss your housing options with you, please attend before 4.00pm. If you come to us after this time we will only be able to give you emergency housing advice.

  • Kirklees Council Housing Solutions Service,
  • Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ
  • Address Dewsbury Customer Service Centre, Walsh Building, Town Hall Way, Dewsbury, WF12 8EQ
  • Phone 01484 221350
  • Out of hours emergency service (24 hours a day) Phone 01484 414933
  • Email
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about Kirklees
Was this information helpful?