If you need to adapt your home because of a disability or old age, you can apply to the council.

Getting adaptations from us

Finding out what you need is the first stage, and we can only adapt your home after your needs have been assessed.

An occupational therapist or other assessor, will visit you in your home to assess your needs and provide advice. They'll ask you questions and see how you manage in your home and see what you struggle with. You'll work out what help you need together.

Types of adaptations

Following an assessment, the assessor may recommend minor or major adaptations to your home. If you rent your home, you will need permission from your landlord before we can carry out any adaptations. We can discuss this with you and your landlord further to explain the process and any works needed.

Minor adaptations

Minor adaptations are works that do not need any structural changes to your home examples include:

  • Grab rails
  • Shallow steps
  • Bannister on the stairs

Major adaptations

Major adaptations are works that do need structural changes to your home, examples include:

  • Stair lifts
  • Walk-in shower
  • Widening doorways
  • Lowering kitchen worktops
  • Putting in an outdoor ramp

Paying for adaptations

Following an assessment all recommended adaptations up to the value of £5000 can be provided free of charge.

Anything above this amount would be means tested (except adaptations for children), but may be eligible to be covered by a Disabled Facilities Grant .

If you do not meet the criteria and/or you decide to fund adaptations yourself, we can still give you advice and support including a list of advisory contractors who have done this work before.

Alternatively you can find local traders you can trust on the Age UK Calderdale and Kirklees Trusted Traders Directory

How to contact adult social care services

Gateway to care is the contact for anyone that would like further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.

  • Contact Gateway to care
  • Phone 01484 414933
  • Opening times
  • Monday to Friday: 8am - 5pm
  • After 5pm - If your call is Urgent you can still telephone 01484 414933 as all calls are diverted to our Emergency Duty Team
  • Email
  • Address Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for healthy living
Was this information helpful?