Find out what to do if you're a private tenant and at risk of being homeless

Your landlord has to follow certain rules if they want to end your tenancy depending on the type of tenancy you have.

Harassment or illegal eviction

If you think your landlord is harassing you or trying to evict you illegally, for example by changing the locks or threatening to disconnect your gas, electricity or water, you should get advice straight away from our Housing Solutions Service or Fusion Housing.

We can help you with:-

  • negotiating or mediating with whomever you rent from or live with so that you can remain in your current home or stay there until you can find somewhere else to live
  • telling you your rights as a lodger or tenant
  • landlord/tenant disputes
  • giving advice and helping you with your difficulties in finding somewhere else to live
  • assisting you in applying for properties through choose 'n' move or with other housing associations
  • referring you for debt advice if you need it

Tenancy types

If you're not sure about your type of tenancy or licence, you can use Shelter's tenancy rights checker to find out more.

Once you know what type of tenancy you have, you'll be able to find out more about Your rights as a private tenant .

Giving notice of eviction

Your landlord has to notify you in writing if they want to evict you from their property, but they must have a valid reason. In most situations verbal notice is not legal, even if you don't pay rent.

Find out more about What to do if your landlord is threatening to evict you .

Applying for council housing

Joining the housing register tells you about renting a council, housing association or shared ownership property in Kirklees

Further guidance

Contact Housing Solutions Service

  • Tell us about your housing circumstances.

Clock Completing this form takes 5 minutes

Paperclip To complete this form you will need to provide your name and contact details.

After you've contacted us

We will contact you with an appointment for housing advice and an assessment of your needs.

Other ways to contact us

You can call into one of our Customer services centres or telephone us:-

To allow enough time for us to discuss your housing options with you, please attend before 4.00pm. If you come to us after this time we will only be able to give you emergency housing advice.

  • Kirklees Council Housing Solutions Service,
  • Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ
  • Address Dewsbury Customer Service Centre, Walsh Building, Town Hall Way, Dewsbury, WF12 8EQ
  • Phone 01484 221350
  • Out of hours emergency service (24 hours a day) Phone 01484 414933
  • Email
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about Kirklees
Was this information helpful?