An empty home can blight an area and have a negative effect on the local neighbourhood. Long-term empty homes are a wasted resource that can be used to meet housing needs. Empty properties can deteriorate quickly and attract anti-social behaviour such as fly-tipping, squatters, vandalism and arson.

We aim to help bring long-term empty homes back into use by working with owners and we are able to offer a package of assistance to help achieve this.

Reporting an empty property

  • Tell us if there is an empty property on your street or in your neighbourhood, which has been empty for a long time.

Clock Completing this form takes less than 5 minutes

Paperclip To complete this form you will need the address of the empty property.

Report an empty property

After you've reported it

We will try to trace the owners and offer them advice and guidance that may help them bring that property back into use.

Digital Kirklees transaction logo

If you own an empty property

  • Register your empty property with us so we can potentially match you to existing opportunities or new ones as they arise.

Clock Completing this form takes less than 5 minutes

Paperclip To complete this form you will need to be the owner of the property.

Tell us if you own an empty property

After you've registered

We will offer advice and guidance, there may be opportunities to make dealing with your empty property that bit easier.

Digital Kirklees transaction logo

Buying an empty property

  • Register to tell us that you are interested in purchasing a long term empty property you have identified.

Clock Completing this form takes less than 5 minutes

Paperclip To complete this form you will need to tell us the type of property you are interested in.

Tell us if you are interested in buying an empty property

After you've registered

We will help you trace or contact the owners of an empty property you are interested in buying.

Information for owners of empty properties

Digital Kirklees transaction logo

Help for empty home owners

Reclaim VAT

If your property has been empty for over 2 years there is help with VAT paid for renovating the property.

You can reclaim 15% of VAT paid on certain elements of the renovation.

If the property has been empty for over 10 years there is the possibility to reclaim the full 20% VAT.

Rent your property out

Once renovated you may want to rent the property out.

We can assist with the Bond guarantee scheme - landlords.

Auction your property

There are regular auctions in the area, either traditional at a set date and location or online.

In online auctions a property may be with an estate agent or not. It is put online for a number of months during which interested people bid on it. The highest bid may win on the closing date, or sometimes the online bids are added to a traditional auction along with other bidders.

Assisted sales

If you would like to sell but do not have the funds to complete any renovations to improve its value there is a way forward. Homesmatch and Property Smart and Simple offer an assisted sale scheme.

If viable they:

  • fund the renovation of the property
  • find a buyer
  • take the cost of the renovation from the sale proceeds, which due to the renovation will be higher than it is presently worth.

Discuss the situation with them to find out if it would be a positive outcome for you.

Contact us if you would like to discuss your personal situation further.

Disclaimer: Kirklees do not endorse any service providers and advise property owners to search for available providers and services themselves before deciding who to use.

Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about Kirklees
Was this information helpful?