The Bond Guarantee Scheme exists to help new tenants find a property to rent by replacing a cash deposit with a written agreement known as a bond. The scheme is operated by the Kirklees Council's Housing Solutions Service.

How the scheme works

  • The bond is a legally binding agreement given to the landlord in place of a cash deposit.
  • The bond is equivalent to a maximum of one month's rent and no more than the Local Housing Allowance entitlement for the size of the property.
  • It covers rent arrears and malicious damage caused by the tenant and their household. It does not include cover for wear and tear, furniture or white goods, unpaid bills, personal debts to the landlord, or damages to the communal area of a property.
  • The bond will last for the lifetime of the tenancy.

Benefits to landlords

  • We provide advice and assistance on the rights and responsibilities of both tenants and landlords.
  • As the deposit is not cash you do not need to place the cash deposit into a tenancy deposit protection scheme .
  • We provide advice on tenancy agreements and notices.
  • There are no advertising costs. We hold a list of households requiring tenancies and are able to set up landlords with potential tenants.
  • We provide advice on the Housing Benefits system.
  • Housing benefit can be paid direct to the landlord in many cases.
  • An inventory is undertaken prior to tenancy agreement.
  • We will review the tenancy at 1monthly, 3 monthly, 5 monthly and 10 monthly intervals to address any issues/problems that have arisen, which includes non-payment of housing benefit.
  • We provide support and advice throughout the lifetime of the tenancy.

How to qualify for the scheme

  • You must be willing to let your property to people who are receiving benefits, or are on a low income.
  • The property is required to pass an inspection prior to letting. It must be free from Category 1 hazards as per the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (Housing Act 2004) . It must also be in general good condition.
  • If any works are required, these must be completed, prior to the property being accepted and becoming available for letting.
  • A gas safety and energy performance certificate must be provided.
  • If the property is furnished then a copy of the landlord insurance is required.
  • All furniture must comply with current Fire Safety Regulations.
  • The rent must be in line with the Local Housing Allowance Rates .

If you need to make a claim

  • Inform us as soon as the tenant leaves.
  • We will inspect the property the day the tenant leaves the property or immediately after.
  • Send us a list of damages and an estimate for the cost of the work you need to do
  • We will cross-check against our original inventory on our inspection report.
  • We will then write to you to confirm the value of damages we will pay.
  • When the work is complete send us the original receipts or paid invoices. We will then repay your expenditure up to the maximum value of the bond.

Please note we are not a lettings agency. We are able to facilitate and assist, but do not take on any responsibility that the landlord could reasonably be expected to carry out.

Contact us

You can call into one of our customer service centres, telephone or email us.

  • Kirklees Council Housing Solutions Service,
  • Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ
  • Address Dewsbury Customer Service Centre, Walsh Building, Town Hall Way, Dewsbury, WF12 8EQ
  • Phone 01484 221350
  • Email
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about Kirklees
Was this information helpful?