Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with, and relates to, other people.
The video below is made from real life stories of adults with autism in Kirklees and aims to address prejudice and promote a better understanding of autism.
Free online courses about autism
To help you learn more about autism the Sparkle website has a big list of free online courses about autism.
Please also see St Clement's Practical Autism Guides for a number of informative films.
Getting a diagnosis
If you are over 18 years of age and think you may be autistic contact your GP to discuss your concerns, they will refer you for a formal assessment if necessary.
Find out how to get diagnosed with autism and how a diagnosis can be helpful.
Autism support services
The annual Kirklees autism show
- Thursday 29th April 2020, 10.00am-3.00pm
- Textile Centre of Excellence, HD2 1YF
(off Leeds Road, Huddersfield)
- FREE admission
The aim of the event is to:
- put people in touch with organisations that can help them;
- help to develop a better understanding of autism; and
- help create a more inclusive local community where everyone is valued equally.
Over 50 organisations offering services and support in Kirklees have stalls at the event providing information and advice for children, young people and adults with autism, parents and professionals.
Autism show 2019
- On Wednesday 1 May 2019 Kirklees Council, in partnership with South West Yorkshire NHS Foundation Trust held its sixth annual Autism Show. Autism show evaluation report 2019.
Kirklees Autism Partnership Board
The Kirklees Autism Partnership Board is made up of officers from the council, officers from Job Centre Plus and health professionals working with local autism support groups. The partnership board has the task of ensuring that local strategy is implemented and makes a difference to people's lives.
How to contact adult social care services
Gateway to care is the contact for anyone that would like further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.
- Contact Gateway to care
- Phone 01484 414933
- Opening times
- Monday to Friday: 8am - 5pm
- After 5pm - If your call is Urgent you can still telephone 01484 414933 as all calls are diverted to our Emergency Duty Team
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ