There are different ways to complain depending on if your child:

  • attends a Kirklees Council school
  • attends a private school / Academy school
  • has special educational needs (SEN)

Complaints about a Kirklees Council school

Follow these steps in order.

Only move on to the next step if your complaint is not resolved.

  1. Follow the school's complaints procedure.
  2. If you feel this has not been resolved complain in writing to the headteacher.
  3. If you are still not happy complain in writing to the school's governing body.
  4. If you are not happy with the outcome complain to The Department for Education

Other types of complaint

For some types of complaint you need to contact a different agency
Complaint Who to contact
Headteacher Chair of Governors, in writing
Academies, free schools Kirklees Council does not have any formal role in relation to academies complaints (unless it relates to a safeguarding issue). Full details of the academy's complaints procedures should be available from the school. If you are not happy with the outcome you can report this to Ofsted
Child protection Kirklees Safeguarding Children Board
Exam malpractice or maladministration Ofqual and the awarding body
Quality of education or leadership Ofsted
Governing body or individual governor
1. Contact the Chair of Governors who will investigate your concerns.
2. If the complaint is about the Chair of Governors you should contact a member of the complaints committee.
3. If the complaint is about the governing body as a whole, you should contact the School Governor Service Team. Phone 01484 414701
Special educational needs Kirklees Information Advice Support Service (KIAS)

Help to make a complaint

If you feel worried about making a complaint about a school you may involve a friend, representative or interpreter to support you. There are also agencies who might be able to help:

Legal advice

You can get free legal advice about schooling and education from Child Law Advice

Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about Kirklees
Was this information helpful?