There are many different types of foster placements and care homes in Kirklees, as well as support and help for both you and your carer.

What to think about

There are lots of things to think about for you living in care and for the people trying to support you.

You should have a care plan to make sure you get the support you need. It is your plan and it is really important you are involved in writing it and making sure it is checked regularly.

We want your time in care to be happy and stable but sometimes you might need some help to work out issues with your carers or other people you live with. The Placement Support Team can provide this support for you and your carer.

Boy upside down on branch

Residential Care

There are five children's homes in Kirklees:

  • Copthorne
  • Healds Road
  • Woodlands
  • Elm Grove
  • Orchard View (respite care)

Types of foster care

There are a few different types of foster care - it can last for days, months or even years.

Foster carers have children and young people living in their homes as part of their family for different amounts of time.

Short term carers

  • Sometimes where you first live is where you will stay for a short amount of time.
  • These carers are called short term foster carers. You might stay with them for a few weeks or months and sometimes longer.
  • Children and young people live with them until they can go home to their own family or until they can move in with longer-term carers or a family to adopt them is found.

Long term carers

Children and young people usually live their long term foster carers until they become adults and are ready to live on their own - this is called independently by social workers.

Children and young people who live with a longer term foster carer are still a part of the family they were born into even if they only see those family members at certain times. When children and young people see their family this is called family time by social workers.

Short breaks

Short breaks involve children and young people living with their own family or foster carers, but having short stays away at the home of another foster family.

This could be for a weekend or 1 to 2 weeks at a time.

Living with parents

Some children or young people still live with their mother or father (or both) but foster carers help the parents to learn to look after their children so that they are safe and well.

Residential school

  • A residential school is both a school and a home for some children and young people.
  • It is very much like being looked after in a children's home.

Missing from care

Going missing from care without your carers' knowledge can happen for lots of different reasons and we want to be able to support you to return home safely and work with you to sort out any problems you may have that caused you to go missing.

If you are currently missing from care and would like to speak to someone contact:

  • Your social worker or personal advisor: 01484221000 - ask for them by name.
  • Children's Rights Team to speak to someone independent: 08003893312
  • Kirklees Emergency Duty Service outside of office hours: 01484414933
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about family life
Was this information helpful?