We put together two options that would make changes to the provision of Bistro Service.
The Have your say on proposed changes to the Excellent Homes for Life Bistro Service consultation ended on 10 November 2022.
Extra care housing is a type of specialist housing which is designed to maintain the independence of older people (usually 50+), who have care and/or support needs.
Extra care housing consists of self-contained flats with design features and care and support services available to enable self-care and independent living.
Living in extra care housing offers security and privacy within your own home with a range of facilities on site, and the added peace of mind of knowing that you have 24 hour access to on-site emergency support if needed.
To be eligible for extra care housing you:
- must have eligible care needs under the Care Act 2014 as identified by the council following a Care needs assessment and;
- must have a housing need as determined by the Council's housing allocations policy - this includes:
- The need to move out of residential accommodation due to closure or change in registration
- Prevention of a crisis and their current situation breaking down
- Part of planned pathway step approach that will lead to better outcomes for the individual and a potentially cost effective solution for the council
- Safeguarding considerations
- Improving mental health and wellbeing including social isolation
Location of the schemes
In Kirklees there are currently three extra care housing schemes: Meadow Green, Sandy Mount and Woodland Court for which Kirklees Council is the Landlord.
|Name and link to CQC inspection rating||Area||Care provider||Care staff on site||Number of flats|
|Meadow Green||Heckmondwike||Radis Community Care||24 hours a day 7 days a week||43 one and two-bedroom flats. Plus 10 in Meadow Green Lodge for people who have dementia|
|Sandy Mount Care||Crosland Moor, Huddersfield||Community Integrated Care||24 hours a day 7 days a week||41 one and two-bedroom flats|
|Woodland Court||Dewsbury||Radis Community Care||24 hours a day 7 days a week||46 one and two-bedroom flats|
How much it costs
You will need to pay for:
- the cost of renting your flat
- the cost of furnishing your flat
- a service charge for the management, security, upkeep and maintenance of the flat and communal facilities
- care and support charges will vary depending on individual needs and circumstances
- council tax, utilities, other household and food costs
You may be eligible for assistance towards the costs of living in extra care and this will be fully discussed with you.
Features and facilities
- Café bistro
- Hair salon
- Activity Room (some of the activities held at the schemes are open to the local community, as well as tenants)
- Therapy/exercise room
- A guest room is available to hire for family and friends
- Laundry rooms
- Assisted bathing facilities
- Communal Lounge
- Secure gardens
- On-site care staff (24 hours/7 days)
- Excellent security - with external lighting and doors, windows and locks all meeting the Secure by Design standard helping people to feel safe in their flat and environment.
- Emergency call system (assistive technology) - similar to the carephones service with the extra care on-site care team providing responses.
- Community facilities - such as the café bistro, hair salon and some activities are open and available for use by the community as well as tenants. More information can be found on our Pinnacle Group Ltd page.
- Secure mobility scooter store
Care and support
All extra care schemes offer the following support to help you stay independent.
- On-site care provider available for people with assessed care needs - care staff are trained to take an enabling approach - to encourage and motivate tenants to remain as independent as possible for as long as possible. Registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
- Housing-related support - for people who need help with answering letters, speaking to utilities companies etc.
- Wellbeing checks - to check that you are alright or whether you need any further support. The check can be daily, weekly (or anything in between) and can take place in your flat or anywhere around the scheme.
- Emergency call system - In-built assistive technology system - allowing tenants to request assistance in the event of an emergency or urgent care need.
Each café bistro welcomes tenants, their friends or relatives and the public alike and is very reasonably priced. All restaurants are currently run by Kirklees Catering Service.
What they offer
- Breakfast service
- Drinks and snacks
- Lunchtime service every day with a range of hot and cold meals and snacks including a choice in portion size and price and a vegetarian option.
- Lighter meals include salads, quiche, paninis, filled jacket potatoes together with a selection of desserts and cakes.
- Dietary requirements can be accommodated on request e.g. diabetic, coeliac and gluten intolerance.
Small pets are allowed such as:-
Whatever your pet you must discuss this with Pinnacle before the tenancy agreement is signed.
Tenancies and management of the schemes
People living in extra care housing flats are council tenants.
The tenancies are managed on the council's behalf by Pinnacle Group Ltd who also carry out any maintenance and repairs and look after the communal spaces including the external grounds and car park.
A scheme manager is provided by the onsite care provider to oversee the day to day running of the schemes.
Tenancy help desk service 24/7
Pinnacle PSG provide a 24/7 help desk service. Tenants can use this to report housing repairs and raise any questions or concerns about the management or maintenance of their home or tenancy. The helpdesk number is 0330 036 1517.
Information for professionals
Information on how to refer a client and frequently asked questions are available in the Extra care housing: information for professionals guidance document.
Information for tenants
How to contact adult social care services
The Community Health and Social Care Hub is the contact for anyone that would like further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.