The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS for short) is for EU, EEA* or Swiss citizens who wish to continue to live, work and study in the UK after 30 June 2021. You do not need to apply to the scheme if you are an Irish Citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.

The rights and status of EU citizens will remain the same until 30 June 2021.

*The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

Fill in GOV UK's online form.

Apply to the scheme

Find out more about the scheme in your language

Brexit update

The United Kingdom left the European Union 31 January 2020. There is now a transition period while negotiations take place, this will end 1 January 2021.

The rights of the UK and EU citizens during this time will remain the same.

For more information visit our Brexit page.

Getting settled

If you have made a home here in Kirklees and you are living, working or studying here, it is important that you apply to the EUSS to protect your rights in the UK.

Equally, if you know anyone who should apply for the EUSS, make sure they know about the scheme and point them in the direction of the support available.

More information about who should apply is available on GOV UK

Settled and pre-settled status

If accepted you will receive either 'settled' or 'pre-settled' status. If you have lived in the UK continuously for a five-year period you are likely to receive settled status.

If you have not lived in the UK continuously for five years, you may receive pre-settled status - providing you moved to the UK before 31 December 2020. Pre-settled status allows you to live and work in the UK for a further five years, you can then apply for settled status.

Applying for the scheme

View step by step on how to apply for the EU settlement scheme.

A smartphone is required to scan documents and verify your identity. Once you have completed your application you will receive an email confirmation.

If you do not own a smartphone or have access to someone else's, you can send your documents in the post to be checked. You will be prompted to do this at the beginning of the application process.

Tutorial for scanning documents
The length of the process

Waiting for a decision can be daunting but do not worry if you do not hear something straight away. It usually takes around five days for an application to be reviewed and for a decision to be made. However, it can take up to a month.

The cost

Applying to the scheme is free. If you applied to the scheme before Brexit and paid a fee, you can be refunded .

Support in Kirklees

The Citizen's Advice Bureau offer guidance and support in completing your application. View information about the application process and answers to any questions you have .

If you are having difficulties completing your application, Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Centre (KCALC) maybe able to help.

Citizens Advice can also give information about immigration and may be able to assist with other matters related to your application. All of their advice is free.

Find your nearest Citizen's Advice Centre. If you live in Kirklees, call KCALC on 0344 848 7970. KCALC also has a website with links to useful information and details about how to get help.

Improving your English

Learning a new language can be difficult, especially when you have other things to do. But, having a good level of English could give you access to better opportunities in the UK.

Better levels of English could give you more confidence in your daily life. It may open doors to try new activities, and enhance your career opportunities.

Kirklees Welcome Hubs

For support and advice in learning English, as well as building existing skills, visit This Way for English or drop-in at one of their hubs to find out more, everyone is welcome.

This Way for English hubs offer advice and guidance on many issues, come along and say hello if there is anything we can help with.

Location Day and time
Batley Library Monday 10am-12pm
Dewsbury Library Tuesday 1pm-5pm
Huddersfield Library Wednesday 9am-1pm
Greenwood Centre Thursday 1pm-5pm
Welcome Mentors

The Welcome Mentor programme has been developed to offer a volunteer support/befriending service to help reduce some of the barriers and alleviate the feeling of isolation for asylum seekers, refugees and migrants in Kirklees.

Visit Welcome Mentors to find out how you can get involved.

Key information

Are you struggling to provide proof of residence for the last five years? Some applicants may have difficulties because bills and bank accounts are in their partner's name, however this should not be a problem.

  • You can find examples of what you can use as proof of residence on GOV UK
  • If for example, documents are in your partner's name and you cannot find other forms of proof, the Home Office will work with the evidence you do have to confirm the time you have lived in the UK. Contact them when completing the application if you are unsure.
  • Elke has lived in the UK for 50 years and was experiencing a similar issue.

You can still apply for the scheme even if you have not lived in the UK for five years.

  • If you do not have five years' continuous residence when you apply, you will usually get pre-settled status. You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020.
  • You can stay in the UK for a further five years from the date you get pre-settled status.
  • You can then apply for settled status once you have five years' continuous residence.

If you will have reached five years' continuous residence at some point before 31 December 2020, you can choose to wait to apply until you reach five years' continuous residence.

  • This means that if your application is successful, you will get settled status without having to apply for pre-settled status first.