Who is an adult at risk
A vulnerable adult at risk is anyone aged 18 and over who is not able to care for or protect themselves from harm or exploitation. It might be because of:-
- mental health, disability, age, or illness,
What is abuse?
Abuse can be:
- something that happens once
- something that happens repeatedly
- a deliberate act
- something that was unintentional, perhaps due to a lack of understanding
- a crime
To help decide whether someone is at risk read recognising abuse or neglect.
Who commits abuse?
Abuse can happen anywhere, at any time and be caused by anyone including:-
- a partner or relative
- a friend or neighbour
- a paid or volunteer carer
- other service users
- someone in a position of trust
- a stranger
What to do if you witness abuse
If you see or hear someone being harmed or abused, or someone has told you they are being harmed or abused:
In an emergency, don't wait - call 999
- get medical help if they have been hurt
- call the police on 101 if you suspect a crime
- listen and reassure the victim
- preserve evidence (the police will tell you about this)
- If you are a patient or visitor to a hospital or other health facility, you should immediately report your concerns to a member of staff.
What to do if you suspect abuse
- always listen carefully
- make a note of what has happened or what you are worried about
- if you are an adult who is being abused, or think you may be, talk to someone you trust or contact us
- if you are a person, an adult at risk trusts to tell about abuse, ask their permission to contact us, or the police, if a criminal offence is suspected
- if you are a paid carer or volunteer, tell your manager or another manager in your agency
Report abuse - for a member of the public
If an adult is in danger first ensure the individual is safe. Call the emergency services if immediate help is needed.
If you are concerned that an adult at risk living in Kirklees is being abused you can telephone, visit or email:
- Contact Gateway to care
- Phone 01484 414933
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ