Information on how to keep your house warm and save money.

Funding and energy saving

  • Energy Savings Advice Service

    Independent, expert advice on saving energy in your home.

  • Keep warm this winter

    Guidance for householders and consumers on how to prepare for winter, saving energy and money.

  • Keep warm, keep well

    Information for over 60s, low income families and people living with a disability.

  • Citizens Advice - Struggling to pay your bills

    Citizens Advice could help you save money on your energy bills. They can provide you with advice about switching energy tariffs and suppliers as well as advice about fuel debt, benefit checks and application support.

  • Better Homes Kirklees

    Here to help residents across Kirklees by offering home improvements that could save you energy and money.


Age UK HandyVan

    Age UK offers a Handyperson services to residents* in Kirklees and can include:

  • Minor plumbing, e.g. tap washers and sink blockages
  • Fitting security items such as door chains and window locks
  • Moving furniture
  • Minor joinery and other small jobs

*Eligibility criteria applies. Please contact service for more details.

Keep warm, keep well in winter

Being cold isn't just uncomfortable; it can be very bad for your health.

Sitting or sleeping in a cold room is not good for you; it increases the risk of heart attacks, stroke, breathing problems and bad chests.

Top tips on keeping warm and cosy in winter
  1. Don't let the cold catch you out - check the weather forecast so you are prepared.
  2. Make sure you have tinned, dried and frozen food in the house so you can make a hot meal.
  3. Have plenty of hot drinks like tea, coffee or hot water.
  4. Make sure you have enough of your prescription medicines at home or have them delivered.
  5. Flu is much more serious than a cold.
  6. Make sure you can check the temperature in your living room and bedroom. The room where you sit should be 21C and your bedroom should be 18C.
  7. Wear a few layers of thin clothing rather than one thick layer. Socks and hats are great too as hands and feet can soon get cold.
  8. Cover yourself with a blanket or shawl if you are sitting for long periods.
  9. Tuck curtains behind radiators, this will keep the heat in the room.
  10. Keep moving if you can, this will help keep you warm.

More information

Energy performance of homes
  • Energy Performance Certificates
    All homes bought, sold or rented require an Energy Performance Certificate. They give information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
Saving energy at home

Home heating advice:

Council homes:

For further information on the work carried out to improve the energy efficiency of council homes and for advice and support on how to make your council home more efficient and comfortable:

Energy tariffs

(A tariff is the amount of money you pay per unit of fuel)

Advice on different tariffs available, how to change supplier and other useful tips to get the best deal from your energy supplier:

Utility companies
Rebates and winter payments
Utility debt support

Organisations that may be able to offer help and advice with clearing energy arrears.

Health advice
Financial help
General advice and information