If cars park outside your house

A householder does not have any rights over the area of highway adjacent to their property. If vehicles are legally parked and not causing an obstruction then they are entitled to park there, even though it is outside your house.

If long term parking occurs from local businesses, hospitals, shops, universities or colleges.

It may be possible to introduce restrictions on parking. Assessment is required by a highways officer.

Very little can be done if you can't park at school opening and closing times due to parents parking because it is a short term problem, occurring twice a day during term time. Parking restrictions are usually ignored by parents. Any restrictions put in place can often be far more restrictive on residents than on parents dropping off or picking up their children.

If cars park on the pavement

This issue is an enforcement matter for the Police. The council has no powers to stop it occurring.

If you have nowhere to park your car

The council cannot provide parking spaces, as providing parking for private cars is not their responsibility.

In some areas when maintenance work is being undertaken, and there is a verge or a wide footway available then parking spaces can sometimes be provided. Assessment is required by a highways officer.

If parked cars obscure your view when trying to turn out of a side road

If safety is being compromised then it may be possible to restrict the on street parking by introducing waiting restrictions and yellow lines. Assessment is required by a highways officer.

If buses, ambulances and fire engines cannot get past for parked cars

Assessment is required by a highways officer.

Request an assessment of parking restrictions

Fill in our simple online form.

Clock Completing this form takes around 5 minutes

Contact Highways
Was this information helpful?