What the scheme is about
The scheme represents one of the most exciting economic development opportunities in the Yorkshire region and beyond. It aims to grow and attract good quality jobs and businesses in Huddersfield for the benefit of the whole district, which will encourage and support businesses to grow and expand into the area.
It relates to the area from Huddersfield Train Station, along Northumberland Street and Leeds Road to the Stadium, incorporating areas off St Andrew's Road and Gas Works Street along the way.
This Framework sets out the proposed land use plan across the short, medium and long term, supported by an approach for improved connectivity and urban greening
What it will mean for Kirklees
Investment from the Transpennine Rail Upgrade will make Huddersfield one of the best-connected places in the North of England. The University of Huddersfield's investment in the Health Innovation Campus at Southgate will put the town on the map globally in terms of translational health and wellbeing research and applied applications. The Station to Stadium scheme will build on these assets and will act as a key investment, creating a corridor for enterprise, which combined will ensure a greater long-term impact.
Research that we commissioned found there is a demand for good quality employment sites that stimulates private sector investment in commercial office, research, development, and residential use. The scheme will help to identify potential spaces by increasing the utilisation of either empty or underutilised properties within the area.
The five core principles of the project
- Innovative and high-value employment - supporting the local economy by attracting new innovative businesses while increasing productivity.
- Connected and integrated - build on and develop opportunities for residents, workers, students, and visitors to use active travel routes.
- Raised aspirations, skills, and education - create a mix of inclusive spaces for Kirklees and beyond to support people into employment, strengthen entrepreneurship, increase skill levels and raise aspirations.
- Attractive and vibrant environment - revitalise the area and the routes between Huddersfield Rail Station and the John Smith's Stadium by enhancing the local natural and historical environment, while re-connecting with key assets of the distinctive landscape setting.
- Sustainable and clean growth - create a network of green corridors to connect to other areas of the town, encourage biodiversity net gain, support mental well-being, and maximise natural assets.
To find out more you can read:
A set of twelve masterplan propositions have been formulated to deliver the vision for the area. This will result in the creation of a thriving, re-energised area and support the aspirations of Kirklees. They have been defined to enable an incremental approach to the delivery, as and when funding will allow.