If you are a young person leaving care, your local council has a duty to help and support you until you turn 25.

Care leaver's pathway into independent living

If you are a care leaver aged 17+ you may be preparing with the help of your Social Worker to plan your move on into independence.

There are various options available to you such as Staying Put , Supported Lodgings and Semi-Independent Living; these options will be discussed with you together with your Social Worker, Personal Advisor and Housing Solutions Officer.

Housing Solutions will work with you once you are ready for independent living. We will work with you and your Personal Advisor to help you develop a Personal Housing Plan, giving you all the skills needed to help you live successfully in your own accommodation.

When you have built up all the skills needed to live independently you will have the opportunity to attend a pathway planning meeting. At this meeting your band on the housing register will be explained to you.

Your Housing Solutions Officer will support you with your move on to independence.

Help for 16 and 17-year-old

What you can expect if you are experiencing housing problems:

  • You will initially be offered mediation to help resolve any conflicts at home
  • You will be allocated a Social Worker and they will carry out a full assessment of your needs and abilities
  • If we assess that you need emergency accommodation the majority of our accommodation will be with Night Stop , this is a placement in a volunteers home who will provide you with a hot meal and a bed for the night
  • We may also decide that you are eligible for supported accommodation to help you develop the skills needed to move on into independent living once you are 18

Further guidance

Contact Housing Solutions Service

  • Tell us about your housing circumstances.

Clock Completing this form takes 5 minutes

Paperclip To complete this form you will need to provide your name and contact details.

After you've contacted us

We will contact you with an appointment for housing advice and an assessment of your needs.

Other ways to contact us

You can call into one of our Customer service centres or telephone us:-

To allow enough time for us to discuss your housing options with you, please attend before 4.00pm. If you come to us after this time we will only be able to give you emergency housing advice.

  • Kirklees Council Housing Solutions Service,
  • Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ
  • Address Dewsbury Customer Service Centre, Walsh Building, Town Hall Way, Dewsbury, WF12 8EQ
  • Phone 01484 221350
  • Out of hours emergency service (24 hours a day) Phone 01484 414933
  • Email
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about Kirklees
Was this information helpful?