Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Please do not attend the Register Office. Death appointments are running as normal over the telephone. Book an appointment online below and the registrar will phone you at your appointment time.

Medical Certificate Cause of Death (MCCD)

To protect the health and safety of the public and staff nationally, emergency legislation has been approved by the government to allow telephone death registrations. The hospital or surgery who has dealt with the death your loved one, will email the necessary document to our office and make you aware that they have done so.

However, if you have already collected the MCCD you can either scan and send a Medical Certificate Cause of Death (MCCD) or post it through the letter box at one of the town halls, preferably 24 hours before the appointment. The letter box at Dewsbury Town Hall is situated at the side entrance on Wakefield Road, a canopy is situated over the entrance. The letter box at Huddersfield Town Hall is at the Corporation Street entrance.

Registering a death

You must book an appointment to register a death.

A death must be registered in the district in which it occurred and should be registered within five days unless the coroner is involved. Please use the table below for guidance when booking the appointment to ensure you register within the 5 day legal requirement. As deaths are currently registered over the phone please check the availability at both of our offices.

Day of death Latest registration day
Monday Friday
Tuesday Friday
Wednesday Monday
Thursday Tuesday
Friday Wednesday
Saturday Thursday
Sunday Friday

You must have a medical certificate of cause of death from the doctor to book an appointment to register the death.

If the death has been Reported to a coroner, they will inform you when you are able to make an appointment to register the death.

If you are registering a death which occurred outside Kirklees we send the details to the district where it occurred. They are responsible for issuing a death certificate and paperwork for the funeral.

Who should register the death

A relative should register the death.

If a relative can't register the death, you can do it if you:

  • were there at the time of death
  • are an administrator from the hospital (if the person died in hospital)
  • are in charge of making funeral arrangements


There is no charge for registering a death. Forms will be given to you free of charge for use by the funeral director and the Department of Work and Pensions.

You may purchase copies of the register entry in the form of a death certificate on the day of registration.

They cost £11.00 each. Payment can be made by credit or debit card or online after the appointment.

Registrars fees

Book an appointment to register a death

For information about how we store your data please read the Kirklees Registration Service Privacy Notice

Fill in our online form

ClockCompleting this form takes around 15 minutes.

Paperclip To complete this form you will need; the medical cause of death certificate from the doctor or hospital, or where the death was referred to the coroner, you have the relevant reference number.

Book an appointment online

After you've booked

You will have a date, time and location to attend to register the death.

What the registrar needs to know

  • the person's full name at the time of death
  • any names previously used, eg maiden name
  • the person's date and place of birth
  • their last address
  • their occupation
  • the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner
  • whether they were getting a State Pension or any other benefits

What you should bring to the appointment

  • Medical certificate of death issued by a doctor, unless a coroner has advised you that one isn't needed
  • You should also take supporting documents that show your name and address (eg a utility bill) but you can still register a death without them.

If available (but do not worry if not), also take the person's:

  • birth certificate
  • Council Tax bill
  • driving licence
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)
  • medical card, (NHS Card)
  • passport
  • a document with the person's usual address.

Please note that you are not legally required to bring these documents but if you do, they can help to ensure that the registration is completed accurately.

What the registrar will give you

When you register a death you'll get:

  • a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (known as the Green Form) gives permission for burial or an application for cremation. It should be taken to the funeral director so that the funeral can be held;
  • give you a Certificate of Registration of Death (BD8) - this is for Social Security purposes only. If you complete the Tell us once service your Pension Centre will be informed automatically. If not, you will need to use this form to notify them of a change in circumstances.
  • Give you a Tell Us Once reference number and letter explaining how you can automatically inform a number of departments including the Department for Work and Pensions, Kirklees Council, DVLA, Passport Office and HM Revenue and Customs

You can buy extra death certificates - these will be needed for Sorting out the person's affairs.

Register offices

In Kirklees there are two register offices one in Huddersfield and the other in Dewsbury. See Register offices for contact details and directions.

Was this information helpful?