Kirklees Council is reviewing it's local Air Quality Strategy, this document will be released once the Air Quality Action Plan consultation has been completed and is ready for submission to Government.
There are four levels of air pollution: low, medium, high, and very high.
We regularly reviewed and assess the levels.
Pollutants assessed are: Nitrogen Dioxide, Sulphur Dioxide; fine particles (PM10); Carbon Monoxide; Lead; Benzene; 1-3 Butadiene.
Some industries must be authorised by either the Environment Agency or us, to confirm the amount of pollution that can be emitted from the site.
Smoke control areas
Smoke control areas cover all of Kirklees. There are only a few exempted properties in certain areas.
Air quality management areas
We have declared nine air quality management areas:
Area number 1: Bradley Road/Leeds Road junction, Huddersfield for elevated levels of Nitrogen Dioxide
- Air quality management Area Order 1
- Detailed assessment of air quality at Bradley Road/Leeds Road junction
Area number 2: Scout Hill, Dewsbury for elevated levels of PM10s
Area number 3: Ainley Top, Huddersfield for elevated levels of Nitrogen Dioxide
Area number 4: Birkenshaw, Bradford for elevated levels of Nitrogen Dioxide
Area number 5: Eastborough, Dewsbury for elevated levels of Nitrogen Dioxide
Area number 6: Edgerton, Huddersfield for elevated levels of Nitrogen Dioxide
Area number 7: Liversedge for elevated levels of Nitrogen Dioxide
Area number 8: Outlane, Huddersfield for elevated levels of Nitrogen Dioxide
Area number 9: Huddersfield Town Centre for elevated levels of Nitrogen Dioxide
Notify us of the installation of all non-domestic furnaces (16.12 kW or above). They should be capable of operating smoklessly.
We must approve chimney height and arrestment plant of furnaces which either:
- burn pulverised fuel, or
- burn at a rate of 45.4 kg or more an hour any other solid matter, or
- burn at a rate equivalent to 366.4 kW or more any liquid or gaseous matter
Reports and strategies
Under Local Air Quality Management kirklees council submits it's Annual Status Report or ASR to central government. The ASR contains the previous year's Air Quality monitoring data collected from around the district and recommendations for future actions in relation to Air Quality
- 2018 Kirklees Council air quality annual status report
- 2017 Kirklees Council air quality annual status report
- 2016 Kirklees Council air quality annual status report
- 2015 Kirklees Council updating and screening assessment
- 2014 Kirklees Council air quality progress report
- 2012 Air quality updating and screening assessment
- 2010-2011 Kirklees air quality progress report
- 2009 Kirklees updating and screening assessment
- 2008 Air quality management areas general information and consultation
- 2008 Kirklees air quality action plan
- 2008: Kirkees air quality progress report
Kirklees counsil is currently reviewing it's Air Quality Strategy. We will publish our new strategy here when the review is complete. Our previous strategy published in 2007 will remain here until the new strategy is ready.
Since 2007 kirklees council has worked regionally with the West Yorkshire Local Authorities to produce the 'West Yorkshire Low Emission Strategy' or WYLES with it's technical guides. This documents and it's technical guides is the primary strategy the Council is using in it's management of Air Quality.
- Pollution and Noise Control
- Phone 01484 414739
- Address Flint Street, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG
- Report noise and other pollution