We will look after any improvement works needed on your home. We may carry out a survey on your home to identify exactly what improvements are needed. We will contact you in advance to advise you of what needs doing, the work we will be undertaking and when we will be doing it.

Examples of the kind of works we carry out include:

  • Kitchen replacements
  • Roofing
  • Central heating - gas safety work
  • Electrical work
  • Bathroom replacements
  • Windows and doors
  • Changes to property layouts
  • Structural works
  • Wall insulation
  • Installation of green technologies to provide power and heating
  • Environmental improvements to communal areas, paths parking and open spaces
  • Decorating
  • Health and safety compliance work to meet any changes in regulatory standards

'Your Home, Your Place' investment programme

Kirklees Council are significantly investing in improving council homes and neighbourhoods across Kirklees over the next 5 years. As a result we will be delivering a programme of improvements to council-owned homes and neighbourhoods.

Contact Homes and Neighbourhoods for more information.

Making your own improvements to your home

If you want to make any improvements to your home (apart from decorating), you must contact Homes and Neighbourhoods first.

We want to make sure that they are safe for you to carry out, they are allowed and that they won't put yourself or others at risk.

You may want to decorate your property. If you do, we will make sure any work to walls, ceilings or internal joinery is undertaken so you can do this.

We will fill holes in plaster, but any minor holes of cracks caused by picture hooks, pinholes or wall plugs are your responsibility.


While we will look after any maintenance and repairs to your home, we do ask that you keep the property in good order and report any issues or repairs to us so that we can fix them for you.

If you need to report a repair please report it online: Report a repair .

Was this information helpful?