The purpose of Prevent is to safeguard and support vulnerable people to stop them from becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism. In 2018, as part of the updated CONTEST Strategy Prevent work also extends to supporting the rehabilitation and disengagement of those already involved in terrorism.
Prevent works in a similar way to programmes designed to safeguard people from gangs, drug abuse, and physical and sexual abuse. Success means an enhanced response to tackle the causes of radicalisation, in communities and online; continued effective support to those who are vulnerable to radicalisation; and disengagement from terrorist activities by those already engaged in or supporters of terrorism.
Prevent has the following objectives:
- Tackle the causes of radicalisation and respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism
- Safeguard and support those most at risk of radicalisation through early intervention, identifying them and offering support
- Enable those who have already engaged in terrorism to disengage and rehabilitate
Channel and raising concerns
- Making a Channel referral
- Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism
- NSPCC Helpline 24-hour service
- Report suspicious activity to MI5
- West Yorkshire Police - Prevent
- If your inquiry is an urgent referral then please contact the police via 101 or 999