What to do if you think the decision about your council tax reduction wrong

How to appeal

  • If you think your reduction is wrong you must write to us explaining why you think the reduction is wrong.
  • We will respond to your notice setting out the steps you can take if you remain unhappy with our decision.
  • You can only appeal if you think we have not followed the rules set out in the authority's reduction scheme, you cannot appeal against the authority's decision to adopt the scheme it has adopted.

Send your appeal to:

  • Kirklees Council
  • Address Benefit Appeals Section, Civic Centre 1, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2NF
  • Phone 01484 221000 ask for Benefits

Council Tax reduction criteria

Council Tax Reduction is a local scheme designed to help households on low incomes to pay their council tax. It is not linked to National Insurance contributions.

  • If you are working age you must have less than £8,000 in capital, savings, shares and property. The capital limit is £16,000 if you are of pension age unless you are aged 60 or over and receive the 'guaranteed credit' of Pension Credit.
  • We calculate your reduction using your household's income and savings and compare this to what the government says your family needs to live on.
  • This figure is then reduced by 20% for working age claimants who are NOT in one of the protected groups below:

Protected groups

  • Lone parents with children under the age of 5
  • Those eligible for severe disability premium or enhanced disability premium
  • Those receiving War Pension or War Widows Pension
  • Pensioners
Was this information helpful?