Apply to change school during the school year.

In-year admissions

An in-year admission is when a child already attends a school but wants to transfer to another school outside the usual transfer time, for example because the child is moving to a new address. These transfers take place during the school year, which is why they are called in-year admissions. There are two different types of in-year admission:
  • Parents or carers who are moving/have moved house and wish to move to a school closer to their new home.
  • Parents or carers who are not moving house, or whose change of address is not a significant one (a significant house move is defined as over 2 miles for Key Stage 1 or 3 miles for Key Stage 2 and above), but would like their child to change school.

You may apply at any time during the school year, but no earlier than one school term in advance of when the school place is required. A child usually starts at a new school at the beginning of a term unless their home address has changed significantly or they are new to Kirklees. Please indicate on the form if this is the case.

Making an application

If you have moved house and do not have a school place for your child, or if your child cannot continue to attend their current school because it is too far from your new home, you will need to complete the In-Year Common Application Form (ICAF).


If you are not moving house, or you have not moved very far but want to change your child's school for personal reasons you should discuss this in the first instance with the head teacher of your child's present school. This may resolve any issues that may have made you think about changing your child's school. If after speaking with the head teacher of your child's present school, you still want to transfer your child to another school, you should complete the In-Year Common Application Form (ICAF).

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (in accordance with the Children and Families Act 2014) then please do not complete the ICAF. You should contact your child's SEN caseworker to discuss a change of school.

You can apply for any school(s) in Kirklees on the Kirklees ICAF but not private fee paying schools.

If you want to apply for a school/academy in another local authority, you will need to fill in that authority's ICAF. Contact details of neighbouring authorities can be found below.

You should return the completed ICAF directly to the school/academy that you name in Section 7 of the form. If your preference is for a Kirklees community or voluntary controlled school, the school will forward details of your request to Kirklees Pupil Admissions to process.

Please be aware that if the school/academy receives your application during the school holidays, they may not be able to consider your application until the start of the new school term.

Important points for completing the ICAF

The following points are important for ensuring you correctly fill in the ICAF:

  • Please make sure you use your child's full legal name as shown on their birth certificate
  • Please make sure that you use your child's current permanent address
  • You should give at least one contact telephone number in case there are any questions we need to ask you about your application
  • If you are moving house, before an admission authority can use your new address for admissions purposes, they will need proof that your house move is permanent and not easily reversible. The minimum they can accept is proof that you have relinquished all ties with your current address and are contractually bound to your new property.
  • You may want to add reasons why you would like your child to attend the school. If you state any medical or social reasons the admissions policy for the school may not allow them to take into account your reasons, however, if you want to appeal for a place at a school it may help your case to have mentioned reasons for your preference on your ICAF. Please attach any evidence of your reasons securely to the form. Don't forget to keep a copy of the evidence for yourself.

Contact details for neighbouring local authorities

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council

City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council

Calderdale Council

Leeds City Council

Oldham Council

Wakefield Council

Supplementary Information Forms (SIFs)

The following schools ask that parents complete the school's Supplementary Information Form (SIF) in addition to the ICAF:

You need to return the completed SIF to the school along with your completed ICAF.

How to apply

Complete the in-year application form (ICAF)

If you wish to make an application to more than one school, you will need to complete a separate ICAF for each application

Download the In-Year Common Application Form (ICAF)

After you have applied

The admission authority for the school/academy will aim to send you, within 10 school days, but must within 15 school days of the application being received, send a decision letter to offer or refuse a place at the school/academy.

Previously looked after child (PLAC) SIF

If you are requesting admission to school under the previously looked after child (PLAC) criteria you need to complete this online form:

Provide supplementary information for a previously looked after child

Fill in our simple online form

Clock Completing this form takes around 5 minutes

Provide supplementary information

After you've applied

Your completed form will be sent to Pupil Admissions.

Digital Kirklees transaction logo

If your child is offered a place

The offer letter will give a date when your child can start at their new school. This will normally be the first day of the next school term where no significant house move has taken place. Where a child has moved, the offer letter should specify a start date no later than 10 school days from the date of the offer letter. Where possible, every effort should be made for your child to continue to attend their existing school until the transfer has taken place.

If your child is not offered a place

If your child is not offered a place, the only reason for this is that the year group has reached the Published Admission Number (PAN) for the first year of entry, or the admission limit for all other year groups. This means that the year group is full and there are no places available.

The only exception to this would be if you have applied to Heckmondwike Grammar School where places are offered to pupils who are identified by the results of an entrance examination. The letter which informs you that your child has not been offered a place must inform you of your right of appeal against the refusal of the place and the reasons for the refusal.

If your child has not been offered a place at 3 or more schools and does not have a school place they can continue to attend, Kirklees Pupil Admissions will allocate a place at the 'catchment' school if places are available or, if not, the next nearest school where places are available.

If you are not satisfied with the school allocated for your child you can contact Kirklees Pupil Admissions to get details of alternative Kirklees schools with vacancies.

Your child's name will be automatically placed on the waiting list for any Kirklees community or voluntary controlled school(s) where they have been refused a place. For academies, free schools, trust and voluntary aided schools your child's name will be placed on a waiting list for that school according to the admissions policy of that school.

You will also have the right to appeal to an independent panel to try and secure a place at your preferred school/academy in Kirklees.

We strongly advise against declining the school place offered without securing an alternative.

Contact Pupil Admissions

Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about family life
Was this information helpful?