Booking a marriage or civil partnership
- We have put some packages together so you can have a small ceremony and then a larger ceremony when guest limits are increased.
- You can still get married in Kirklees if you live outside the district.
Notices of Intent
- For your ceremony to go ahead you must have valid Notices of Marriage or Civil Partnership in place at least 28 days before the date of your ceremony.
- We will be in touch as your ceremony draws closer to make sure you are booked in for your Notice of Intent if you need to complete it again.
- We do not let you know when a notice has been issued, but we will contact you if there is a problem with your notice.
Giving Notice of Intent if you are outside of Kirklees
- If your partner lives outside of Kirklees and needs to give notice, you must get in touch with their local Registration Service to check appointment availability.
- If you have given notice elsewhere for a ceremony in Kirklees, we are automatically informed that you have done so.
We will publish changes, including the number of attendants for Register Office weddings and Civil Partnerships, as soon as possible.
- You do not need to bring identification or paperwork on the day, as you would have provided identification when giving Notice of Intent.
Witnesses are required to observe you make your verbal contract of marriage, and to sign the marriage register.
- You must supply your own witnesses - Kirklees Register Office staff cannot act as witnesses.
- They need to be present throughout the ceremony, and not be involved in other roles which may distract them, such as taking photographs.
- Your witnesses need to speak and understand English, and ideally should be over the age of 16.
- They can be friends or family members.
- They do not need to bring ID on the day.
- Your witnesses must be included in your guest numbers.
Ceremonies at Huddersfield Town Hall and Dewsbury Town Hall
You should arrive for your ceremony 15 minutes before your allotted time. This is to allow for you and your partner to be interviewed prior to your ceremony.
- If you do not wish to see each other before the ceremony, one of you should arrive 15 minutes in advance and the other 5 to 10 minutes ahead so we can conduct your interviews separately.
- Guests are welcome 15 minutes ahead too.
- You and your guests will be directed to the appropriate rooms on arrival by our receptionist.
Where to go
- The entrance to Huddersfield Town Hall is on Corporation Street. You will exit onto Peel Street.
- The entrance to Dewsbury Town hall is on the main concourse area.
Music cannot be religious in nature - incidental references to a god or deity is acceptable, but the piece must be essentially non-religious in context.
- You are welcome to bring your own music.
- Live music is restricted during the pandemic, please contact us for more information.
- Recorded music must be downloaded to a smart device like a phone or tablet that can be connected to our system via Bluetooth.
- We recommend playing music in three places: entrance, document signing and exit.
You can order your certificate following your ceremony, online or over the telephone.
Get in touch if you would like to arrange anything or if you have any firstname.lastname@example.org