You can receive a postal vote if you apply by eleven working days before an election is held.
Postal voting is convenient as you don't have to go to a polling station to vote.
Information for postal voters:
- If you already vote by post, you should receive your voting pack on or around Wednesday 20 April.
- If you apply to vote by post before Monday 28 March 2022 you should receive your voting pack on or around 20 April 2022.
- If you apply to vote by post between Monday 28 March 2022 and Tuesday 19 April 2022 you should receive your postal voting pack on or around 26 April 2022.
If you have not received your postal voting pack by Thursday 28 April 2022, please Contact Electoral Services so that a replacement pack can be sent to you.
We can only issue replacements up until 5pm on Thursday 5 May 2022.
How to apply for a postal vote
Applications to request to vote by post have closed until after the next District Council election on Thursday 5 May 2022
About your postal vote
Postal votes can be sent anywhere, either inside or outside the United Kingdom (if, for example, you are going on holiday). Remember, though, that if the address is outside the UK it will take time to reach you and for you to return it in order for your vote to be counted.
If you move house you must tell the Electoral Registration Officer immediately, or you may lose your postal vote.
How to fill in your postal vote
When voting by post, you should:
- mark your vote on your ballot paper in secret
- fill in the postal voting statement
- put the ballot and statement in the envelope provided
- seal the envelope yourself.
Post your ballot back as quickly as possible to make sure it's counted.
Candidate numbers no longer appear on ballot papers as shown in the video below. However, the video provides a useful demonstration of how to complete your postal vote pack.
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. If you use assistive technology and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, Contact Electoral Services.
Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.