Request information about road safety for children, speed limits, traffic calming or temporary traffic lights.
Request road safety information
- ask about road safety training for children.
- ask for a speed limit to be lowered, raised or extended
- ask for your street to be assessed for traffic calming
Our pedestrian training scheme involves a number of sessions with each child near a road over several weeks. It aims to reduce child pedestrian casualties and to improve their skills, knowledge, behaviour and hazard awareness.
Bikeability is cycling proficiency for the 21st century and is designed to give children the skills and confidence to ride their bikes on today's roads.
Courses are run in schools across Kirklees for children in Years 5 and 6 and delivered by Legacy Sport and BeCycling.
If you ask for a speed limit to be lowered, raised or extended:
- we ask the Police for their view
- we also consider things like the road's alignment, level of activity, its accident record and the impact of speeding vehicles on the community.
A Speed Limit Order to change a speed limit takes approximately 9 months to complete.
- We monitor accident data provided by West Yorkshire Police to highlight where clusters of accidents occur.
- We investigate requests for the introduction of safety schemes, but our priority is dealing with areas where accidents are occurring now.