The latest public consultation on this plan was held in September 2019 to seek views on a revised scheme that didn't include a new link road. This new plan was broadly supported by locals.
However, as some businesses located on or close to Victoria Street had concerns in relation to the removal of on-street parking and the location of the proposed loading bay the council carried out further engagement with the local Ward Members and the Holmfirth Business Association.
They also delivered a further targeted drop-in event in January 2020 to allow local businesses the opportunity to view the plans and discuss concerns with the project team.
The feedback from the local businesses was used to finalise the scheme plan for submission of the Outline Business Case (OBC) to the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA).
The OBC for the project was submitted to WYCA in March 2020. This has now been approved by WYCA, with funding provided to allow the project team to proceed with developing the detailed design and Full Business Case (FBC) for the scheme.
The latest changes to the scheme design are:
- Wider pedestrian footways throughout Holmfirth town centre
- The road at Hollowgate will be narrower to create a wider footway that will provide a safer environment for pedestrians and see the loss of some parking
- The Victoria Street loading bay location will be on the south side of Victoria Street following consultation with businesses and analysis of loading usage
- The project team is working on solutions for an additional loading facility within the vicinity of Victoria Street
- There will be two new disabled parking bays on Victoria Street and an additional bay in the expanded Huddersfield Road car park, taking the total here to three
- The Huddersfield Road car park has been designed with multiple water and electricity utility points to allow the space to function as a market and event space when required
- The car park will be future proofed to allow for electric vehicle charging points to be installed with minimal disruption
- The planned relocation of the Towngate zebra crossing will not go ahead due to safety issues related to sight lines. The crossing will remain in its existing location.
- The Huddersfield Road car park will be split-level to accommodate the existing car park slope and to ensure light is not blocked to the businesses located adjacent
- An additional pedestrian crossing on Huddersfield Road is planned to ensure pedestrians have a link to the new electric car and bike charging facilities
Find more information and ask questions about the latest plans by 23 April 2020 at:
- Phone 01484 221000
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org