The Holmfirth Town Centre Access Plan will see improvements throughout the town centre. The plan includes the demolition of the former market hall building and extension of the adjacent Huddersfield Road car park. This part of the scheme required planning permission, which was granted in February 2022.
Kirklees Council, in partnership with the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA), is developing the scheme to:
- Create a more attractive environment for residents, businesses, and visitors
- Improve efficiency and journey time reliability for all road users
- Ease traffic congestion
- Create better access for residents, businesses and visitors.
The changes to the market hall and Huddersfield Road car park include:
- Demolition of the market hall building to increase car parking spaces from 24 to 26. The disabled bays will be moved to a location with better access
- All new parking spaces will be larger for ease of use
- The new car park will be able to host events and markets thanks to the inclusion of multiple water and electricity points
- There are plans for three new footways between Huddersfield Road and Hollowgate to improve movement through the town
- There will be four electric vehicle charging points
- The bridge over the River Holme will be replaced with a wider deck providing improved views of the river and opportunities for additional event space, cycle parking and seating
- The lower section of the new car park will house eight 1100 litre bins to improve the access and appearance of Hollowgate
The changes to the wider town centre include:
- Upgrading of the existing signal-controlled junctions to reduce congestion and improve journey times.
- Provision of a loading and disabled parking bay to the north side of Victoria Street to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow.
- Widening of footways on Hollowgate, Huddersfield Road and Victoria Street to aid pedestrians.
- The introduction of a 20mph limit throughout the town centre.
- A new cycle hub with maintenance equipment and electric bike storage and charging facilities.
- Phone 01484 221000
- Email email@example.com