You may be able to claim compensation if your vehicle has been damaged by a road. The organisation you contact depends on where the road is and the type of road.


You can't claim compensation if debris from another vehicle caused the damage. Contact your insurer instead.

How to make a claim

Contact the organisation responsible to tell them:

  • what the damage was
  • why you think they are responsible
  • the specific location where the damage took place - the road name and the nearest marker post number or feature which identifies the part of the road you were on
  • the date and time the damage was caused

Trespassing on a motorway is a criminal offence. Don't visit or try to photograph the location where your vehicle was damaged.

Most A-roads and motorways

You can check if Highways England manages the road your car was damaged on. If it is report directly to Highways England.

Other English roads

Report the problem to the council that manages the road then contact them for compensation.

Claim for damage to your vehicle in Kirklees

You should complete this form if you want to claim compensation from Kirklees Council as a result of a defect in a Kirklees Council managed highway.

This form is used solely for the purpose of considering your claim for compensation. The issue of this form by the Council is not to be taken as an admission of liability.

Download our claim form.

PaperclipTo complete this form you will need to include copies of;

  • Insurance certificate
  • MOT Certificate
  • Evidence to support cost of repairs
  • Map marking location
  • Photographs of defect and surrounding area
  • Photographs of damage
Download claim form

After we receive your completed form

Upon receipt of your completed form together with any further information or documentation required to consider your claim, the matter will be investigated, and a report provided to the Council's Insurance Team who will then respond to you direct in relation to liability in accordance with civil law protocol. It can take up to three months for investigations to be completed.

The Council must protect the public funds it handles so we may use the information you have provided, in relation to this claim, to prevent and detect fraud. The Council may also share this information, for the same purpose, with other local authorities and organisations that handle and protect public funds.

Contact us:

Was this information helpful?