All applications must be made online.

If you are a new occupant/resident in to a property and have been given permits by the previous occupant (for example an Open permit or an Annual Open permit) please do not use these permits as they will have been cancelled and please apply for new ones for yourself. If a cancelled permit is displayed in a vehicle then a penalty charge notice will be issued to the vehicle.

Apply online

You can only apply if:

  • You live in a property affected by a residential parking scheme
  • You are an occupant of business premises that are within the permit parking area but where nobody lives there

The council is authorised to check your details against the Council Tax records. If you are not registered for Council Tax please provide one of the following:

  • A current tenancy agreement (signed and dated)
  • A utility bill (within the last 3 months and showing the address details)

Proof of vehicle ownership, please provide one of the following:

  • A VQ5 document (when applying for your vehicle)
  • A current vehicle insurance schedule
  • Proof of company vehicle and authorisation to be kept at the property

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Apply online

After you've applied

  • We will let you know if we have approved your application.
  • Open visitor permits are free. Special residential permits are £15.00 and are valid for the lifetime of your vehicle. When you change your vehicle you must apply for a new permit. We must receive payment for all permits before we issue your permit.

Lost Permits

Replacement for a lost permit will incur an administrative charge of £20.

However, a faded or damaged permit can be returned and it will be replaced free of charge.

Types of parking permit

Resident permits

  • Resident permits are issued for vehicles owned by someone who lives in a specified property.
  • They have the registration number of the vehicle and cannot be used in any other vehicle.
  • Each vehicle, owned by a permanent resident at the specified property, can have a resident permit.
  • The cost of the permit is £15.00 and will be valid for as long as you own the vehicle
  • If you change the vehicle or registration mark on your vehicle, a new permit will be required at a cost of £15.00
  • Residents who keep work vehicles may be eligible for permits.

Visitor permits

  • Visitor permits are issued to the occupants of a specified property and are for use by their visitors, when they are actually on the premises.
  • Giving the permit to a driver for any other purpose will lead to the issue of a parking fine (Penalty Charge Notice) and also cancellation of the permit.
  • For instance, they should not be used by someone as free parking whilst they go to work.
  • Each property can have up to two visitor permits:
    • Open Visitor - this is free of charge and valid for as long as you live in the property
    • Annual Open Visitor - a second permit which will cost £15.00 per annum (12 months) and will need to be renewed each year. We do not send a reminder.

Business and landlords permits

  • Business premises within a permit parking area may be able to apply for a permit for visitors to use, for instance for making deliveries.
  • We may attach conditions to these permits such as limiting the time of stay.
  • There is a charge of £200.00 for each permit which is valid for one year from the 1st of any month.

Cancelling a business and landlords permit

Any request for cancellation or refund must be made in writing giving one full month's notice to the Parking Office and is subject to approval.

  • Annual permit refunds will be based only for full months.
  • A cancellation of any permit may incur a fee.

Special residential permits

  • Special residential permits can be issued to the National Health Service, local authorities and charitable organisations.
  • The cost of this permit is £20 per annum (with a maximum stay) and application is subject to approval.

Worship permits

  • These permits are issued to places of worship that are within a residential permit parking area, to allow congregation members to attend worship.
  • Worship permits are free but the times and days they can be used are restricted.

Trader permits

  • These permits are issued to traders who are working at properties that are situated in a residential permit area.
  • You need to complete an application form and include your vehicle registration number.
  • Permits can be issued for periods of three days, one week, monthly or up to a year.
  • A charge is payable upon application.
Was this information helpful?