What a special educational need is

Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) can affect a child or young person's ability to learn. They can affect their:

  • behaviour or ability to socialise, for example they struggle to make friends
  • reading and writing, for example because they have dyslexia
  • ability to understand things
  • concentration levels, for example because they have ADHD
  • physical ability

More information: Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

What you should do if you suspect your child has a special educational need

  • If you think your child may have special educational needs, contact the SEN co-ordinator, or SENCO in your child's school or nursery
  • You can also contact Kirklees Council Special Educational Needs team
  • Kirklees Information, Advice and Support Service (KIAS) can give you advice about SEND.

If your child has a special educational need

The local school will meet the needs of the majority of children. For pupils identified as needing special help, funding is available for the school.

Your child may be eligible for:

The majority of children with EHC Plans continue their education in their local school, but we also maintain special schools and specialist resourced provision in mainstream schools.

Other guidance

  • Help if you have a disabled child
  • Contact SEN Assessment and Commissioning Team

    Was this information helpful?